The Electric VTOL News™ highlights the incredible promise and progress of electric and hybrid-electric powered vertical takeoff and landing (eVTOL) aircraft, focusing on non-helicopter VTOL aircraft large enough to carry passengers without conventional helicopter flight controls (though eRotorcraft are now listed as well). Electric propulsion throws open the VTOL aircraft design space by harnessing concepts such as distributed electric propulsion (DEP) as well as facilitating new approaches to wingborne VTOL.
The Electric VTOL News™ is published by the Vertical Flight Society. Founded as the American Helicopter Society (AHS) in 1943, VFS is the world’s largest and longest-running VTOL technical organization. In January 2020, VFS will host its 7th Annual Electric VTOL Symposium — the world’s largest and longest-running eVTOL conference.
Here you can read our news stories, learn about the different aircraft being developed and the new enabling technologies such as motors and batteries, find out about applications like the Uber Elevate ecosystem, Urban Air Mobility and the NASA UAM Grand Challenge, or check out our social media and other resources available for those tracking or learning about eVTOL, including a timeline, world map and ways to sort through our World eVTOL Directory — we currently have 175+ eVTOL aircraft listed! And check out our upcoming events and resources from past events.
We also have 100+ hours of presentations on eVTOL aircraft and technology in our video library, including a six-hour “Short Course on eVTOL Technology,” taught by four leading eVTOL technology experts.
Sign up for The Electric VTOL™ eNewsletter to get regular updates on progress in Electric VTOL, resources and important upcoming events. You can also check out our past issues.
Upcoming Vertical Flight Society Events:
- Transformative Vertical Flight 2020 will include the 7th Annual Electric VTOL Symposium, International Powered Lift Conference (IPLC), and Aeromechanics for Advanced Vertical Flight Specialists’ Meeting at the Doubletree Hilton, San Jose, California, USA, on Jan. 21–23, 2020. Technical paper abstracts due July 19, 2019!
- The 76th Annual Forum & Technology Display will take place May 19-21, 2020 in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Save the date!
The Electric VTOL News™ is produced by The Vertical Flight Society: www.vtol.org.
This website was started in April 2017 and is the oldest and most comprehensive compendium of eVTOL News and information in the world.
Have an addition, suggestion or question? Let us know!
- Mike Hirschberg, Publisher
- Ken Swartz, Editor in Chief
- Frank Colucci, Senior Editor
- Ian Frain, Contributing Editor
- Elan Head, Contributing Editor
- Robert Moorman, Contributing Editor