Santa Cruz, California, USA
Joby Aviation in Santa Cruz, California aims to leverage Distributed Electric Propulsion experience it gained with the NASA Leading Edge Asynchronous Propellers Technology (LEAPTech) demonstration to fly its S4 personal VTOL aircraft. [LEAPTech ground-tested 18 electric propellers on the leading edge of a wing attached to a truck. Now, Joby is working on the design and construction of the optimized wing, motors and propellers that will fly in 2018 on the all-electric X-57, built under NASA’s Scalable Convergent Electric Propulsion Technology Operations Research (SCEPTOR). Replacing the wing on a Tecnam P2006T aircraft, the X-57 “Maxwell” uses 14 electric motors driving propellers mounted on the leading edges of the wing.]
The Joby S4 is a four-seat Distributed Electric Propulsion aircraft with 6 tilting/folding propellers. Joby stated it planned to begin flying the prototype in 2017, but the company declined to provide an update of its activities until Feb. 1, 2018, when Bloomberg Businessweek described thusly:
The pilot managed a vertical takeoff, 15 minutes of flight in a 15-mile loop, and a safe landing. Powered by electric motors and sophisticated control software, the taxi performs like a cross between a drone and a small plane, able to zip straight up on takeoff and then fly at twice the speed of a helicopter while making about as much noise as a swarm of superbees.
Except for a few computer images of the S4 presented at the 2nd Annual AHS Transformative Vertical Flight Workshop, held at NASA Ames, not much of the S4 has been revealed:
Previously, Joby had studied the two-seat S2 eVTOL, which was similar in basic configuration, but used 16 propellers that could tilt and/or fold.
Joby was initially funded by JoeBen Bevirt, Paul Sciarra and others. Series A and Series B investments have now reached $130M.
- News posts
- AHS International Leads Transformative Vertical Flight Initiative, 1 Nov 2014
- The Joby S2 VTOL Concept,
- Lift Where You Need It, Nov 2016
- The Demand for On-Demand Mobility, Jan 2017
- Air Mobility Bonanza Beckons Electric VTOL Developers, March 2017
- Joby news release: The Next Phase at Joby, Feb 1, 2018
- Joby news release: Joby Aviation Secures $100M in Series B Funding, Feb 1, 2018
- Bloomberg Businessweek: Air-Taxi Startup Joby Has a Working Prototype and a Fresh $100M, Feb 1, 2018