Mountain View, California, USA
Kitty Hawk unveiled the prototype for their electric VTOL “Flyer” for recreational flying with a video on YouTube on April 24, 2017. From their website at the time: “The Kitty Hawk Flyer is a new, all-electric aircraft. We’ve designed our first version specifically to fly over water. You don’t need a pilot’s license and you’ll learn to fly it in minutes. We publicly revealed the working prototype in April 2017. The official Flyer will be available by the end of the year.” (The production Flyer was actually unveiled in May 2018.)
Funded by Google’s Larry Page, Kitty Hawk includes Dr. Todd Reichert and Cameron Robertson, the leaders of the AeroVelo Atlas team that won the AHS International Igor I. Sikorsky Human Powered Helicopter Competition in June 2013.
Kitty Hawk became the parent company of Zee Aero in 2016, which resulted in the Kitty Hawk Cora product line in 2018.
- Search eVTOL news posts
- Article: Back to Kitty Hawk: Exploring the Secrets of the Kitty Hawk Flyer, Vertiflite, Nov/Dec 2017
- Article: From Aerovelo to Kitty Hawk (sidebar), Vertiflite, Nov/Dec 2017
- YouTube video: eVTOL News video, Episode 1: Kitty Hawk Flyer Demo, Vertical Flight Society, Oct 15, 2017
- YouTube video: Introducing the Kitty Hawk Flyer, Kitty Hawk, April 24, 2017
- Article: Air Mobility Bonanza Beckons Electric VTOL Developers, Vertiflite, March/April 2017
- Article: The Demand for On-Demand Mobility, Vertiflite, Jan/Feb 2017