Boston, Massachusetts, USA
PteroDynamics was founded by its CEO, Val Petrov. The company says on their website, “Our business model includes licensing the Transwing design to other companies that are passionate about the potential of safe, reliable and ubiquitous distance VTOL applications.” The concept is applicable to manned and unmanned eVTOL. Subscale models have been flight tested from vertical takeoff through transition and vertical landing.
Our patent-pending design has the highest figure of merit of any VTOL aircraft. Given any aircraft size and payload requirements, Transwing aircraft will fly at least twice as far as any VTOL competitor.
The secret is that a Transwing aircraft is a multicopter when taking off and landing and transitions by folding its wings into a fixed-wing aircraft for forward flight. A multicopter configuration is the optimal design for stable takeoff, landing and hover, and a fixed-wing configuration is the optimal design for flying long distances and loitering around a general area for purposes such as inspection, monitoring, surveillance and search. Transwing is the only aircraft design that transitions between these two optimal configurations.
The Transwing will have a profound and positive impact on the entire aviation industry and will make possible whole industry segments, including drone delivery, air taxis and personal flying transport.
The Transwing design provides many key advantages:
- Most importantly, they are as stable and efficient during takeoff and landing as a quadcopter.
- Yet they are as efficient for horizontal flight and loitering as any fixed-wing aircraft, yielding whatever glide ratios that are desired. Transwing aircrafts can easily have lift-to-drag ratios greater than 20 because they have the advantage of having their wings folded back when taking off and landing and while on the ground, so there is no practical restriction to how long and thin the wings can be.
- The in-flight transition of the folding wings enabled by our proprietary wing joint is extremely rapid and seamless due to uniquely benign aerodynamics of all the intermediate configurations between transition. Highly swept back and cambered wings during transition reduces buffeting and flow separation, making the transitions smooth and natural.
- Because of their folded wing configuration, Transwing aircraft designs are extremely compact for ground storage and during takeoff, landing and hover, with a full-scale four-passenger vehicle being just 18 feet by 23 feet.
- Payload capacities can be as much as 40% of maximum takeoff weight.
- Transwing aircrafts can use either carbon-based fuel or distributed electric propulsion, which offers redundancies, is very reliable, much more quiet and efficient than internal combustion engines and are less expensive to build, maintain and operate, not to mention that they are much better for the environment with zero emission.
- Transwing aircraft have the same cruise and maximum speed profiles as conventional fixed-wing aircraft.
- And finally, because the Transwing is a transitional design instead of a hybrid one, all the motors can be used for both take off and landing and horizontal flight, so there is no need for unnecessary weight or drag.
- search eVTOL news posts
- Website: PteroDynamics
- YouTube: Pterodynamics Inc
- Video: Transwing aircraft flights, PteroDynamics inc, June 4, 2018