Tier 1 Engineering
Santa Ana, California, USA
The Tier 1 Robinson R44 electric helicopter was built under contract from Lung Biotechnology PBC as an Electrically-Powered Semi-Autonomous Rotorcraft for Organ Delivery (EPSAROD). The idea is that the Tier 1 will be able to quickly transport organs to those that need them at nearby hospitals.
The modification of a standard Robinson R44 took six months with Tier 1’s nine-person team. The team designed and integrated all of the vehicle’s sub-systems, which included 1100 lb (500 kg) of Brammo Lithium Polymer batteries, twin electric motors and a control system from Rinehart Motion Systems. According to the Tier 1 press release, the helicopter…
achieved a successful first hover on Tuesday, September 13th, a first hover taxi on Wednesday, September 14th and a record five minute cruise flight to 400 feet altitude with a peak speed of 80 knots on Wednesday, September 21st. The helicopter was a modified Robinson R44 test piloted by Captain Ric Webb of OC Helicopters.
The flight on September 21, 2016 lasted for five minutes at 400 ft (120 m) and 80 kt (148 km/h), and landing with 80% of its reserve power. With better batteries, the Tier 1 Robinson R44 will be expected to fly for 150 minutes and lift a payload of 600 lb (272 kg).
On December 7, 2018, Tier 1’s Robinson 44 set the record for the farthest distance traveled by an electric helicopter. The vehicle covered over 30 nm (55 km) at an average speed of 80 kt (148 km/h) at the Los Alamitos Army Airfield under a special airworthiness certificate issued by the FAA. This has set a Guinness World Record.
|Gross Weight||2500 lb 1134 kg|
Estimated Max Flight Time
|Estimated Range||30 NM 55.56 km|
Desired Flight Time
|Desired Payload||600 lbs 272 kg|
1100 lbs 499 kg
- Search eVTOL news posts
- Website: Tier 1
- Article: Electric helicopter sets Guinness World Record, Vertical, December 11, 2018
- Article: A First Electric Helicopter with a Humanitarian Mission, Sustainable Skies, October 13, 2016
- Article: Tier 1 Engineering Accomplishes Historic Battery-Powered Full-Size Helicopter Flight At Los Alamitos Army Airfield, Cision PR Newswire, September 30, 2016
- Video: Lung Bioengineering: LB-1 EVLP Clinical Trial, Lung Bioengineering, April 20, 2017
- Video: World Record 30 minute 800 feet Electric Helicopter Flight, Martine Rothblatt, February 26, 2017
- Video: Historic battery-powered helicopter flight at Los Alamitos Army Airfield, Tier 1 Engineering, September 30, 2016