The Silverwing S1 is an all electric Vertical Take-Off and Landing (VTOL) hoverbike and a Phase 1 winner of the GoFly competition.
This device is a canard-wing configuration around a person in motorcycle-like orientation powered by two electric motors with ducted rotors. The aircraft is a ‘tail-lander’ and makes a 90-degree transition from vertical take-off to horizontal cruise flight. It uses high density batteries and is capable of autonomous flight.
A student project at the Delft University of Technology, Silverwing has 21 corporate partners providing technical and/or financial support to the Silverwing team.
On June 14, 2018, it was selected as a Phase 1 winner of the GoFly competition.
- Search eVTOL.news posts
- Twitter: @teamsilverwing
- Instagram: @flysilverwing
- News Release: GoFly Winners, GoFly, June 14, 2018
- Article: Boeing’s $2 Million Challenge to Make the Sky Fun Again—With ‘Flying Motorbikes’, Wired, June 14, 2018
- Article: Boeing Asked for Quiet Jetpacks and Got a Bunch of Air Motorcycles, Bloomberg, June 14, 2018
- Article: Contest Aims to Lift Personal Flying Machines Off the Page, The New York Times, June 14, 2018
- Article: Here are the Finalists for Boeing’s $2 million ‘Personal Flying Device’ Contest, The Verge, June 14, 2018
- Article: Meet the Mad Geniuses Building Personal Flying Machines, Fast Company, June 14, 2018