Santa Cruz, California, USA
Founded in 2009, Joby Aviation is a venture-backed startup aerospace company is located in Santa Cruz and San Carlos, California (USA), that is developing and will manufacture piloted all-electric vertical takeoff and landing (eVTOL) aircraft for fast, quiet, and affordable air taxi services. As of January 2020, the company has reported they have around 400 employees and their website shows a long list of job openings.
Joby Aviation’s S2 concept expanded from its two year collaborative study with NASA that resulted in the NASA GL-10, Joby Lotus and joint NASA/Joby LEAPTech concepts.
The S2 would feature 12 propellers on tiling and folding nacelles with eight on the fixed wing and four on a V-stabilizer/rudder configuration. Aside from accent and decent these would tilt laterally and the blades fold back to reduce drag. Four additional fixed horizontal pusher props on the wing and stabilizer tips would be utilized for cruising. The vehicle would have been all electric and designed to carry two passengers.
Joby has discontinued the S2, using data derived from it and its Lotus demonstrator to work on its four passenger Joby S4.
In May, 2018 the Vertical Flight Society presented Joby Aviation’s CEO, JoeBen Bevirt, its Paul E. Haueter Award (given for an outstanding technical contribution to the field of VTOL aircraft development other than a helicopter or an operational vertical flight aircraft) for successfully demonstrating the world’s first high-speed multi-passenger electric VTOL aircraft.
- Search eVTOL News posts
- Joby Aviation: website
- Joby Aviation Facebook
- Joby Aviation YouTube
- Joby Aviation LinkedIn
- Article: Santa Cruz aviation company anticipates flying cars in 3 years with Marina-based factory, KSBW Action 8 News, Jan. 17, 2020
- Article: Toyota Makes a New $394 Million Bet on Flying Taxis, Bloomberg, Jan. 15, 2020
- Press Release: Toyota Invests $394M More in Joby, Toyota and Joby Aviation are Flying to New Heights Together, Joby Aviation, Jan. 15, 2020
- Press Release: Joby Aviation Unveils S4, Joby Aviation Raises $590 Million in Series C Financing to Launch Air Taxi Service, Joby Aviation, Jan. 15, 2020
- Article: Air Mobility Bonanza Beckons Electric VTOL Developers, Vertiflite, Mar. 1, 2017
- Article: The Demand for On-Demand Mobility, Vertiflite, Jan. 1, 2017
- Article: Lift Where You Need It, Vertiflite, Nov. 1, 2016
- Article: The Joby S2 VTOL Concept, Vertiflite,
- Article: AHS International Leads Transformative Vertical Flight Initiative, eVTOL News, Nov. 1, 2014
- U.S. Patent: Aerodynamically efficient lightweight vertical take-off and landing aircraft with pivoting rotors and stowing rotor blades, Joby Aviation, Mar. 18, 2014