PAL-V Liberty Pioneer and PAL-V Liberty Sport
PAL-V International B.V.
Raamsdonksveer, North Brabant, The Netherlands
The initial idea for the a Personal Air and Land Vehicle (PAL-V) happened when the Co-Founder John Bakker started flying in 1999. Then in 2008 the company PAL-V (Personal Air and Land Vehicle) was founded by Robert Dingemanse and John Bakker in The Netherlands and began to design a roadable aircraft.
The first flight of PAL-V International’s proof-of-concept prototype was in 2012. Currently, PAL-V International is finalizing the development of the PAL-V Liberty model which is scheduled in production in 2020. The PAL-V vehicle can drive on the road and can fly. In flight, PAL-V is an autogyro or gyrocopter and on the road, it’s a car. The aircraft is intended for flying within a city or for city-to-city flying. The main focus of the PAL-V is for personal air mobility.
The Pal-V Liberty Sport model was first unveiled at the Geneva International Motor Show held March 18, 2018. A new production model, the PAL-V Liberty Pioneer, was unveiled on Mar. 5, 2019 at the Geneva International Motor Show (GIMS) held during March 7-17, 2019, in Geneva, Switzerland.
It can park in any parking space or garage. It is certified to fly under both the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA, European Union – 28 member states) and the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA, USA) and complies with road safety regulations.
The PAL-V aircraft holds two (2) passengers and the pilot needs to have a pilot’s license and a driver’s license and to fly/drive the PAL-V aircraft. And one needs to land or take off at an airfield or small strip of land. It takes between five to 10 minutes to switch from driving to flying mode and vice versa. There are two separate engines, one for flight and one for the car mode.
The Pioneer Edition is for those that want to be part of a unique group that writes history with us. They will be at the forefront of a mobility revolution, where we will no longer have cars that can only drive. They will be the first carflyers in their country, FlyDriving to any destination.Robert Dingemanse, PAL-V CEO
PAL-V Liberty Drive Mode (As of June 2019):
- Max Speed 160 kmh (about 100 mph)
- Top speed acceleration (0-100 km/h) <9 seconds (0-62 mph)
- Engine power 100 hp
- Fuel economy 7.6 l/100km
- Range 1,315 km (817 miles)
PAL-V Liberty Flight Mode (As of June 2019):
- Economic cruise speed 140 kmh (87 mph)
- High cruise speed (90% range) 160 kmh (99 mph)
- Maximum speed 180 kmh (112 mph)
- Maximum operating altitude 3,500 m (11483 ft)
- Useful load 246 kg (542 lbs)
- Landing roll distance 30 m (98 feet)
- Take-off roll (MTOW, MSL) 180 m (590 ft)
- Max Range (with ½ hour reserve fuel, MTOW) 400-500 km (249-310 miles)
- Max endurance (with ½ hour reserve fuel, MTOW) 4.3 hours
As of 1 June 2019 on PAL-V International’s website, they estimate the cost of their aircraft as the following:
The PAL-V Liberty Pioneer Edition, “Expected Price: $599,000.00 USD (€499,000 Euros).” The PAL-V Liberty Pioneer comes ‘full option’, including a unique interior and exterior customized with premium materials and finishing.
The PAL-V Liberty Sport Edition, “Expected Price: $399,000.00″ USD (€299,000.00 Euros).” The PAL-V Liberty Sport is the standard version of the PAL-V Liberty, without the premium interior or exterior materials and finishing.
In April 2019, PAL-V and Royal NLR (Netherlands Aerospace Centre) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to together, develop an autonomous electric Vertical Take-Off and Landing (eVTOL) flying car. They hope to have their eVTOL model in production in 10 years.
- Search eVTOL news posts
- PAL-V International B.V. website
- PAL-V International B.V. Facebook
- PAL-V International B.V. YouTube
- PAL-V International B.V. Instagram
- PAL-V International B.V. LinkedIn
- Article: PAL-V and NLR Will Start The Development of The eVTOL Flying Car, Open PR, Apr. 26, 2019
- Article: Pal-V shows off limited edition flying car in Geneva, New Atlas, Mar. 6, 2019
- Article: PICTURES: PAL-V shows limited edition Liberty flying car, Flight Global, Mar. 6, 2019
- Article: PAL-V Unveils the Production Model of Its Limited Edition Flying Car, PR Newswire, Mar. 5, 2019
- Article: FARNBOROUGH: PAL-V debuts Liberty flying car, Flight Global, Jul. 18, 2018
- Article: Production-ready $600,000 Pal-V Pioneer Flying Car shown in Geneva, New Atlas, Mar. 8th, 2018
- Article: The PAL-V Liberty Claims To Be The First Commercially Available Flying Car, The Verge, Mar. 7, 2018
- Video: PAL-V Liberty Pioneer Edition Unveiling at the GIMS 2019!, PAL-V International, Mar. 12, 2019
- Video: PAL-V Launches the PAL-V Liberty, PAL-V International, Feb. 13, 2017
- Video: PAL-V Flying Car – the flying experience, PAL-V International, Nov. 24, 2016
- Video: PAL-V Flying Car – Maiden Flight, PAL- V International, May 9, 2012