DeLorean Aerospace DR-7
Laguna Beach, California, USA
The DeLorean Aerospace DR-7 would be a twin forward and rear tilt propeller flying car developed for personal use.
The forward and rear propellers will be capable of 360 degree forward/back tilt. In vertical mode the DeLorean will be able to achieve Vertical Take-Off and Landing (VTOL). As the propellers tilt more toward a horizontal position it will enter cruising mode. The front system is a tractor propeller and the rear prop a pusher. The counter-spinning fans will help stabilize the DR-7 as well as provide roll and yaw control while hovering and yaw while in cruising flight. The thrust-vectoring system precludes the need of a rudder. The fuselage will act as an airfoil with stall-resistant canard. The design will increase efficiency and decrease stall resistance to low speeds. The DR-7 will have a cruising speed of 241 km/h with a top speed of 389 km/h. At full speed the range will be 193 km.
The DR-7 will carry two passengers in a tandem configuration. It will be 6 m long with a wingspan of 5.6 m. The wings will fold the vehicle to a 2.3 m width allowing it to fit in a garage.
DeLorean intends for the vehicle to be a high end flying car for commuting and personal travel. Costs are expected to be in the $250,000–300,000 range.
A 1/3 scale proof-of-concept composite aircraft has been tested successfully. There is no hard timeline for additional tests and the company is currently seeking investors for a full-sized prototype.
DeLorean Aerospace was founded in 2012 by Paul DeLorean, the nephew of famous car designer John DeLorean.
- US Patent 9,085,355, filed Dec. 7, 2012; granted July 21, 2015
- Article: Air Mobility Bonanza Beckons Electric VTOL Developers, Vertiflite, March/April 2017
- Article: DeLorean unveils DR-7 VTOL, eVTOL News, June 11, 2017
- Article: DeLorean DR7 Wants To Fly Us Back To The Future, Clean Technica, January 2, 2018
- Merk T Hover School Bus 02 (concept design)
- Merk T Copter Car 25 (concept design)
- Merk T Copter Voiture 44 (concept design)
- Merk T Copter Car 8 (concept design)
- Merk Heli T-Arrow (concept design)
- Chatillon MotoFly (concept design)
- Galvani Fly Citycopter (concept design)
- Jantschke Megacity Aviation (concept design)
- FBike Flying Bike (technology demonstrator)
- 3D Molier Cargo Quadrocopter Drone (concept design)