Star 8 Green
Capalaba, Queensland, Australia
Based in Australia, Star 8 Green, with multiple offices in South East Asia, is an innovative technology company, continuously introducing new green energy technology which includes green transportation products (such as electric scooters, electric tuk tuks, electric buses, electric boats and more), other green technology (such as solar panels and batteries) and other green applications.
In 2018, Star 8 CEO and President, Mr Jacob Maimon, commenced the Star 8’s electric vertical takeoff and landing (eVTOL) passenger aircraft program or as the company calls it, the Electric Manned Aviation Vehicle (EMAV). In addition, another program was started by the company and its called the Electric Cargo Aviation Vehicle (ECAV). The eVTOL program is under the leadership of Mr. Kyxz Mendiola, a Filipino drone and flying car enthusiast, and the developer of his first one passenger eVTOL multicopter named the Koncepto Millenya.
The Gravity X Koncepto Millenya is a one person open cockpit electric vertical take-off and landing (eVTOL) multicopter prototype created by Earnest "Kyxz" (pronounced "Kicks") Hennrick Mendiola based in the Philippines. The 16 vertical propellers are powered by 16 motors and controlled in part by 16 separate computers. Up to five propellers can fail with the vehicle still able to make a controlled landing. The aircraft's maximum payload is 90 kg (198 lb) and the empty weight of the aircraft is70 kg (154 lb).
The Koncepto Millenya has eight radial struts to support the propellers and the propellers and electric motors are half-way along each strut and at each end. Batteries currently allow about 15 minutes of flight time and with better battery technology on its way, the flight time of the aircraft is expected to increase. There are four fixed landing skids on the aircraft. Multiple redundancies in the navigation electronics, propellers and electric motors make the aircraft very safe to fly.
The prototype was built from scratch by a small team. With successful test flights in 2017 and 2018, Gravity X (Millenya's original company name) is began to get industry and investor attention and ultimately Mendiola was hired has the head of Star 8 Green's Electric Manned Arial Vehicles (EMAV) program. His first eight propeller Hoverboard Version 1, where the pilot is standing - no seat, first manned free flight took place indoors, on July 7, 2017 at Club Gymnastics, Rosario, Pasig City, Philippines. His first outdoor manned free flight of the Hoverboard V1.0 took place on July 20, 2017 at the Marikina Sports Center, Marikina, Metro Manila, Philippines.
The first manned flight of the full-scale proof-of-concept aircraft, with a seat for one pilot, was on Oct. 27, 2017 at an undisclosed location in the Philippines. The first manned flight of the one passenger Koncepto Millenya eVTOL aircraft, with the customized carbon fiber fuselage, took place on July 7, 2018 at an undisclosed location in the Philippines.
Star 8 Green is in the process of making multiple types of eVTOL aircraft from hoverboards, to cargo aircraft, to rescue aircraft, racing aircraft, personal aircraft and air taxi shared aircraft. The company foresees the most promising applications for eVTOL aircraft are for Air Taxis, personal flying cars, medical emergencies and air cargo.
- Aircraft type: eVTOL multicopter
- Piloting: 1 pilot
- Cruise speed: Unknown
- Flight Time: 15 minutes
- Propellers: 16 propellers
- Electric Motors: 16 electric motors
- Power source: Batteries
- Maximum payload: 90 kg (198 lb)
- Empty weight: 70 kg (154 lb)
- Fuselage: Carbon fiber composite
- Windows: Open cockpit
- Landing gear: Four landing skids
- Safety Features: Distributed Electric Propulsion (DEP), provides safety through redundancy for its passengers and/or cargo. DEP means having multiple propellers and motors on the aircraft so if one or more motors or propellers fail, the other working motors and propellers can safely land the aircraft. Up to five propellers can fail and the aircraft can still make a controlled flight and land safely.
- Star 8 Green Australia website
- Star 8 Green Twitter
- Star 8 Green YouTube
- Star 8 Green Instagram
- Flying Kyxz Facebook
- Flying Kyxz Twitter
- Flying Kyxz YouTube Channel
- Video: Octocopter Hoverboard First (indoor free flight) Solo Flight, FlyingKyxz, July 7, 2017
- Video: GMA 7 News on First (outdoor free flight) Flying Hoverboard in ASIA, FlyingKyxz, July 20, 2017
- Article: Will this Pinoy-made real-life hoverboard take us back to the future?, GMA News Online, July 21, 2017,
- Video: Philippines First Manned Drone Multicopter, Version 2, FlyingKyxz, Oct. 27, 2017
- Video: Manned Drone Multicopter Car Prototype, FlyingKyxz, Nov. 11, 2017
- Video: Drone Sports Car Koncepto Millenya, FlyingKyxz, Aug. 12, 2018
- Video: Smallest Flying Sports car -Koncepto Millenya-, FlyingKyxz, Sept. 2, 2018
- Article: Filipino inventor takes 'flying car' for successful test flight, Khaleej Times, Sept. 14, 2018
- Video: Filipino inventor takes flight in electric passenger drone, Inquirer, Oct. 7, 2018
- Article: Is this drone-like VTOL craft the real future of flying cars?, AutoWeek, Nov. 9, 2018
- Article: Personal flying vehicles may be closer than we thought…, Star 8 Green, Oct. 19, 2020