Moscow, Russia / Burlingame, California, USA
Scorpion is a single-seat, altitude limited quadcopter hoverbike which started as a "crowdfunding" project. While still in its early phases, the Scorpion platform is often seen as an extreme sports instrument, however with a focus on making it safe and easy to control, it potentially could be used as a form of transportation.
At the GITEX Technology Week in Dubai, the Dubai police force signed a memorandum of understanding to begin testing the Scorpion-3 eVTOL hoverbike. The company also “received an invitation to open mass production in the Dubai area.”
In a Facebook post by Hoversurf CEO Alexander Atamanov, a Scorpion 3 was flown to a height of 28.5 m (93.5 ft), which he called a “world record.” However, the Dubai Police have limited the altitude to 5 m (16 ft) for safety reasons.
At the Consumer Technology Associations CES 2019 show in Las Vegas an updated version was displayed. It had added two lateral fans (one forward, one aft) for a 3-front/3-back configuration and had included ducts or rotor guards.
The Scorpion platform features a safety system powered by state of the art flight controllers, special logical programing and passive elements, with computer aided speed and altitude limiting. HoverSurf is also developing the Formula, and updated, wingless version of the prior Formula model. The Drone Taxi R-1 which is also in development seems to be an altered Scorpion model.
- HoverSurf Website
- eVTOL news: Dubai is Electric
- Article: Hoversurf's Scorpion 3 is the world's first fully-manned hoverbike, Designboom, February 20, 2017
- Article: Dubai Police Will Soon Be Buzzing Around on These Epic Hoverbikes, Science Alert, October 16, 2017
- Article: GoFly Enters Phase II, Vertiflite, July/August 2018
- Article: HOVERSURF has met FAA part 103 guidelines for a personal Vertical Take-Off and Landing aircraft., Hoversurf, Sept. 27, 2018
- Article: FAA Confirms Hoversurf S3 is Ultralight, evtol.news, Oct. 15, 2018
- Article: GoFly Hits 40, evtol.news, Feb. 6, 2019
- Video: UAM VLOG by Alex Atamanov - EPISODE 1, Hoversurf, Feb. 12, 2019
- video: UAM VLOG by Alex Atamanov - EPISODE 2, Hoversurf, Feb. 17, 2019
- Video: UAM VLOG by Alex Atamanov - EPISODE 3, Hoversurf, Feb. 24, 2019
- Video: UAM VLOG by Alex Atamanov - EPISODE 4, Hoversurf, Mar. 4, 2019
- Article: eVTOL Captures the Attention of CES Vertiflite, Mar/Apr 2019
- Article: Hoversurf at Dubai Airshow 2019, evtol.news, Nov. 24, 2019