HUMA (concept design)
Cranfield, Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
Founded in 2017, ARC Aerosystems (formerly Samad Aerospace) is a technology start-up company set out to design and manufacture safe, eco-friendly, scalable, luxury electric vertical takeoff and landing (eVTOL) and hybrid-electric VTOL passenger aircraft for advanced air mobility (AAM) and for air cargo. Since its founding, the company has generated over 10,000 pages of technical reports as a result of more than 100,000 engineering work hours. The company is based in the United Kingdom and is financed by venture capital and is looking for additional funding. (All images: ARC Aerosystems)
The company has designed multiple models of eVTOL and hybrid-electric VTOL aircraft to help shape the future with eco-friendly door-to-door urban air transportation. The ultimate goal of the aircraft is to give back time to the air traveler compared to lengthy time it takes today to fly with conventional air travel.
As of 2023, ARC Aerosystems has acquired the following patent and design rights:
- Utility: Vertical Take-Off and Landing (VTOL) propulsion system on blended wing body (BWB) passenger aircraft (European Patent Corporation Treaty)
- Design: Vehicle configuration of two-in-one air-and-ground vehicle unit (United Kingdom Intellectual Property Office)
- Utility: Power management (battery packs) on two-in-one air-and-ground vehicle unit (United Kingdom Intellectual Property Office)
The Home & Urban Mobility Aircraft (HUMA™) is a modular two passenger eVTOL concept design aircraft and all-electric ground vehicle. The HUMA has three modules, a two passenger pod, a wheel base for road travel and a flight module. The pod transfers back and forth from the ground vehicle to the winged aircraft module. The pod, road and air module are powered by batteries for an all electric modular urban transportation vehicle.
It has been reported in online articles that the aircraft module has a cruise speed of 201 km/h (125 mph), a range of 161 km (100 m) and has a maximum payload of 200 kg (441 lb). As of the spring of 2019, these statistics were not on the company's website. It has also been reported there is a hybrid-electric version of this VTOL aircraft/ground vehicle.
No physical models, mock-ups or prototypes have been shown as of May 2019 and to date, only two images of this eVTOL concept aircraft are available online.
- Aircraft type: eVTOL passenger concept aircraft with pod that transfers to an all-electric ground vehicle
- Piloting: Unknown
- Capacity: 2 passengers
- Cruise speed: 201 km/h (125 mph)
- Range: 161 km (100 m)
- Maximum payload: 200 kg (441 lb)
- Propellers: 2 propellers
- Electric Motors: 2 electric motors
- Power source: Battery packs
- Fuselage: Carbon fiber composite
- Windows: Panoramic wrap around windows allowing forward, left, right and top visibility, for spectacular views
- Wings: Canard wings
- Tail: 2 V-shaped vertical stabilizers
- Landing gear: Tail sitter and lands on the bottom of the vertical stabilizers