UAV Starling (concept design)
ARC Aero Systems
Cranfield, Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
Founded in 2017, ARC Aero Systems (formerly Samad Aerospace) is a technology start-up company set out to design and manufacture safe, eco-friendly, scalable, luxury electric vertical takeoff and landing (eVTOL) and hybrid-electric VTOL passenger aircraft for advanced air mobility (AAM) and for air cargo. Since its founding, the company has generated over 10,000 pages of technical reports as a result of more than 100,000 engineering work hours.The company is based in the United Kingdom and is financed by venture capital and is looking for additional funding. (All images: ARC Aero Systems)
The company has designed multiple models of eVTOL and hybrid-electric VTOL aircraft to help shape the future with eco-friendly door-to-door urban air transportation. The ultimate goal of the aircraft is to give back time to the air traveler compared to lengthy time it takes today to fly with conventional air travel.
As of 2023, ARC Aero Systems has acquired the following patent and design rights:
- Utility: Vertical Take-Off and Landing (VTOL) propulsion system on blended wing body (BWB) passenger aircraft (European Patent Corporation Treaty).
- Design: Vehicle configuration of two-in-one air-and-ground vehicle unit (United Kingdom Intellectual Property Office).
- Utility: Power management (battery packs) on two-in-one air-and-ground vehicle unit (United Kingdom Intellectual Property Office).
The Samad Aerospace UAV Starling is an eVTOL air cargo concept design aircraft will be flown autonomously or by remote control. The aircraft will be used for air cargo, observation and patrol missions. The aircraft has a maximum payload 40 kg (88 lb) or more due to scalability, a cruise speed 193 km/h (120 mph) and has a range 482 km (300 miles). The aircraft has three electric ducted fans (EDFs) for VTOL and forward flight. The fuselage is made from carbon fiber composite, has one main high-wing, has fixed tricycle landing gear and has a T-tail.
While the company originally planned to initiate full-scale tests of the UAV Starling in 2018, the current status is unknown.
- Aircraft type: eVTOL cargo concept design aircraft
- Pilots: Autonomous or remote piloting
- Capacity: Cargo
- Cruise speed: 193 km/h (120 mph)
- Range: 482 km (300 miles)
- Maximum payload: 40 kg (88 lb)
- Wingspan: 3 m (9 ft)
- Propellers: 3 electric ducted fans
- Power source: Batteries
- Wing: 1 main high-wing
- Tail assembly: T-tail
- Landing gear: Fixed tricycle wheeled landing gear
- ARC Aero Systems website
- ARC Aero Systems Facebook
- ARC Aero Systems Twitter
- ARC Aero Systems YouTube Channel
- ARC Aero Systems Instagram
- ARC Aero Systems LinkedIn
- Article: Starling Jet Comes in Three Sizes, ARC Aero Systems, date unknown
- Article: Samad Aerospace Intros VTOL Business Aircraft Concept, AIN Online, Feb. 5, 2018
- Article: VTOL Hopeful Makes EBACE Debut, AIN Online, May 30, 2018
- Article: Samad Aerospace targets passenger flight with electric e-Starling, Aerospace America, July 17, 2018
- Video: Samad Aerospace's half scaled e-Starling CTOL test, Samad Aerospace, Nov. 30, 2020