Transcend Air Corporation
Carlisle, Massachusetts, USA
The Transcend Air Corporation was founded in 2017 to design and manufacture a tilt-wing hybrid-electric vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL) for efficient and low cost city to city travel for the VIP traveler. As the aircraft can takeoff and land on any landing pad, airport tarmac, parking lot or grassy area, the aircraft will whisk the traveler to the destination faster than traditional airport to airport flying. This aircraft can also fly its passengers to their destinations faster than a helicopter, according to the company.
The Vy 400R is a hybrid-electric VTOL passenger aircraft which has one pilot and can carry up to five passengers. The estimated cruise speed is 410 mph (660 km/h) and a range of 500 miles (804 km). The aircraft has a payload of 2,190 lb (993 kg). The aircraft can have a longer range with fewer passengers and less seating. When GE makes the next version of that that same turbine engine which will have more horsepower, the range of the aircraft will be increased another 125 miles (161 kg). A safety feature includes a ballistic whole aircraft parachute.
The Vy 400R has one main tilting wings with one propeller at the end of each wingtip. Each propeller is turned by electric motors and the electricity made for the entire aircraft is by a 2,500 hp GE CT7-8 turbine engine. The aircraft also employs a collective and a 30 kW electric stationary VTOL propeller prop in the rear of the aircraft. The aircraft uses Geofencing plus sensors to avoid obstacles.
In November 2018 Transcend Air selected VerdeGo Aero to provide hybrid electric propulsion systems for an expanding family of Vy aircraft after the turbine Vy 400R has matured.
The company plans to establish a short-haul air service between barges in 46 cities including Boston - New York - Washington D.C., San Francisco - Los Angeles – San Diego or Montreal – Toronto.
In September 2018 two electric-powered, one-fifth-scale prototypes began flight test to evaluate vertical and forward flight transition. These will be followed by a half-scale prototype powered by a smaller PT6A engine to demonstrate the drive train. As of January 2019, assuming a successful Series A round funding round, first flight of a full-scale manned prototype is expected in 2021.
The Vy 400 is based on a long line of flying VTOL prototypes from as far back as 2009, including the 1,984 lb (900 kg crewed Elytron Converticopter. Transcend Air Corporation estimates as of September 2021, that the a Vy 400R will be priced between $4.6 to $6 million. The company hopes to have the VTOL passenger aircraft certified by 2025.
- Aircraft: Hybrid-electric VTOL passenger aircraft
- Pilot: 1 (200 lb (91 kg) each
- Passengers: 4-5 passengers, 200 lb (91 kg) each
- Baggage: 4-5 pieces of luggage, 40 lb (22 kg) each
- Empty weight: 4,800 lb (2,177 kg)
- Useful load: 2,190 lb (993 kg)
- Maximum takeoff weight: 6,990 lb (3,170 kg)
- Cruise speed: 410 mph (660 km/h)
- Estimated range: 500 miles (804 km)
- Propellers: 3 propellers. 2 main propellers, each at the end of the tilt wing and 1 rear stationary VTOL propeller
- Power source: Hybrid-electric 2,500 hp GE CT7-8 turbine engine
- Wings: 1 high main tilt-wing
- Tail: Twin tail with winglets
- Landing gear: Retractable tricycle strut-type legs landing gear
- Safety feature: Whole aircraft ballistic parachute