Volarian (Test Rig)
Volarian is a new concept vectored thrust Vertical Take-Off and Landing (VTOL) aircraft using multiple ducts with internal flapping wings.
There are several configurations using the Volarian concept at this time. Each consists or a series of specially shaped ducts extending beyond the fuselage. Within each duct are one of two flapping wings driven by cams on a rotating shaft that can lift the vehicle or propel it in its cruise mode. A stator wing is located downstream from the main duct assembly to increase efficiency. The flapping action of each internal duct wing creates a stream of thrust producing vortices known as a reverse Kármán vortex street. Should the Volarian system lose power the fluttering of the wings, caused by air flowing up through the ducts, will create drag and act like a parachute. The system can be constructed from composite materials using a straight forward pultrusion methods reducing manufacturing costs.
Volarian predicts the first aircraft will be introduced in about five years. It has not been announced if it will be electric, electric-hybrid or gas powered.
The company is also planning on a modular factory design which could be delivered to multiple production partners.
- Volerian website
- Volerian Facebook
- Volerian Twitter
- Volerian YouTube Channel
- Volerian Instagram
- Article: Volerian, the quietest and safest flying car at Farnborough Airshow, Design Boom, July 23, 2018
- Article: A glimpse of future air travel? Incredible flying car concept inspired by flapping wings soars silently through the air and can take off and land anywhere, Daily Mail, July 26, 2018
- Article: This New Aircraft Flies Through the Skies Like A Fish Swims Through Water, Robb Report, Aug. 17, 2018
- Video: Interview with Volerian Founder, Volerian, Sept. 10, 2021
- Video: Informal video of Volerian fan experimental prototype with noise and flow check, Volerian, Sept. 10, 2021
- Video: The Volerian Propulsion System, Theory of Operation, Volerian, Sept. 10, 2021
- Video: The Volerian Room Fan Project, an Introduction, Volerian, Sept. 10, 2021
- Article: VTOL v STOL, Volerian, Sept. 10, 2021
- Video: Volerian flying car, short take-off aircraft, Volerian, Sept. 10, 2021