Corona, California, USA
Craft Aerospace was established in January 2019 by CEO and Co-founder James Dorris. The company states it is a stealth-mode advanced aircraft startup in the business of making hybrid-electric vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL) aircraft for Urban Air Mobility (UAM). The company's goal is to make door-to-door regional travel smooth, fast, and affordable. The company also creates aerial transportation networks.
- 2019 Angel funding secured
- 2020 Sub-scale demonstrator
- 2022 First flight of prototype
- 2025 Type and production certification
- 2026 Production model delivery
While little is known about the company's hybrid-electric VTOL aircraft, the company has stated it holds nine passengers, has a maximum speed of 345 mph (555 km/h) and a range of 1,000 miles (1,609 km) and a cruise altitude of 30,000 ft (9,144 meters). For the VTOL portion of the flight, the aircraft's box wings have several flaps which extend to the vertical position allowing vertical takeoff and landings. The company has also stated their aircraft is a smaller but a similar aircraft compared to the V-22 Osprey tiltrotor multi-mission military aircraft.
The aircraft has been made specifically for Urban Air Mobility and has been designed to reduce the amount of travel time from your point of departure to your destination. The company also predicts the cost for urban air flights will be affordable to passengers. Craft Aerospace is an early stage of aircraft developing and they recently began testing their unique eVTOL architecture on a sub-scale demonstrator. The company revealed in July 2021, their final design for their production aircraft has not been finalized but will most likely be similar to the one show above.
The company's goal is to make electric aircraft for Urban Air Mobility which are agile, extremely safe and have low manufacturing cost which ultimately reduces the price for passengers traveling within a city or between two cities.
- Aircraft type: Hybrid-electric VTOL aircraft
- Piloting: Unknown
- Capacity: 9 passengers
- Maximum speed: 345 mph (555 km/h)
- Range: 1,000 miles (1,609 km)
- Cruise altitude: 30,000 ft (9,144 meters)
- Maximum payload: 2,500 lb (1,134 kg)
- Propellers: 16 propellers
- Electric Motors: 16 electric motors
- Power source: Batteries
- Fuselage: Carbon fiber composite
- Windows: Slightly larger windows than a private jet
- Wings: Box wings
- Landing gear: Retractable landing gear