The Electric VTOL News™ highlights the incredible promise and progress of electric and hybrid-electric powered vertical takeoff and landing (eVTOL) aircraft, focusing on non-helicopter VTOL aircraft large enough to carry passengers without conventional helicopter flight controls (though eRotorcraft are also included). Electric propulsion throws open the VTOL aircraft design space by harnessing concepts such as distributed electric propulsion (DEP) as well as facilitating new approaches to wingborne VTOL.
The Electric VTOL News™ is published by the Vertical Flight Society. Founded as the American Helicopter Society (AHS) in 1943, VFS is the world’s first and largest VTOL technical organization. In January 2020, VFS held its 7th Annual Electric VTOL Symposium — the world’s largest and longest-running eVTOL conference with nearly 500 attendees.
Here you can read our news stories, learn about the different aircraft being developed and the new enabling technologies such as motors and batteries, find out about applications like the Uber Elevate ecosystem, Urban Air Mobility and the NASA UAM Grand Challenge, or check out our social media and other resources available for those tracking or learning about eVTOL, including a timeline, world map and ways to sort through our World eVTOL Directory — we currently have 250+ eVTOL aircraft listed and counting! And check out our upcoming events and resources from past events.
We also have 150+ hours of video presentations on eVTOL aircraft and technology in our video library, including several Electric VTOL Short Courses, taught by leading eVTOL technology experts.
Sign up for The Electric VTOL™ eNewsletter to get regular updates on progress in Electric VTOL, resources and important upcoming events. You can also check out our past issues.
Upcoming Vertical Flight Society Events:
- 2nd Workshop on Infrastructure for Urban Air Mobility is planned for March 17-18, 2020 at Rowan University in Glassboro, New Jersey, supported by the FAA’s Tech Center in Atlantic City, NJ.
- 76th Annual Forum & Technology Display will take place May 19-21, 2020 in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. This is the world’s largest and longest-running VTOL technical conference with more than 1,300 attendees each year.
- Autonomous VTOL 2021 will include the 8th Annual Electric VTOL Symposium in Mesa, Arizona, USA, in Jan. 2021 — Save the date!
The Electric VTOL News™ is produced by The Vertical Flight Society: www.vtol.org.
This website was started in April 2017 and is the oldest and most comprehensive compendium of eVTOL News and information in the world.
Have an addition, suggestion or question? Let us know!
- Mike Hirschberg, Publisher
- Ken Swartz, Editor-in-Chief
- Frank Colucci, Senior Editor
- Ian Frain, Contributing Editor
- Mike Hampson, Directory Editor
- Elan Head, Contributing Editor
- Robert Moorman, Contributing Editor
- Richard Whittle, Contributing Editor
- Nicolas Zart, Contributing Editor