• +1-703-684-6777
  • news@evtol.news

Alakai Technologies Skai (prototype)

Alaka'i Technologies Skai passenger eVTOL multicopter. This picture is either a Skai flying prototype or a Skai mockup model.

 

Skai (prototype)
Alaka'i Technologies
Hopkinton, Massachusetts, USA
www.skai.co

Alaka’i Technologies is an emerging air mobility design and manufacturing company founded in 2006 by Brian Morrison and is headquartered in Hopkinton, Massachusetts, USA. The executive team has decades of aerospace development including NASA, Raytheon, Beech Aircraft, McDonnell Douglas, Hughes and more. The company is engineering proprietary, progressive air mobility solutions to offer point-to-any-point transportation that are safe, simple, zero-emissions, affordable and comfortable. The company is in the business of designing and manufacturing passenger hybrid-electric vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL) aircraft for advanced air mobility (AAM) and ultimately would like to transform transportation with their aircraft.

A non-flying version of the aircraft was unveiled on May 29, 2019 in Newbury Park, California, USA. NBC Los Angeles said it "resembles an oversized drone crossed with a luxury SUV." BMW-owned global creative consultancy Designworks was contracted for the design, with a focus on the passenger experience. Morrison holds several patents supporting the Alaka'i hydrogen fuel cell hybrid-electric VTOL aircraft. According to the company, the fuel cells are 95% reusable, the remaining 5% are 99% recyclable, and can travel longer distances than its current competitors.

Skai hybrid-electric VTOL prototype aircraft
Alaka'i Technologies reported on February 16, 2024, they have been flight testing two prototype aircraft for the last several years in secrecy. The prototypes are being flown from Minute Man Air Field in Stow, Massachusetts, USA. The company has not revealed if the prototypes are being flown by test pilots or by remote control. The company also confirmed the Skai hybrid-electric VTOL flying prototype aircraft look similar to the planned production model with refinements taking place in the avionics and other sub-systems of the eVTOL aircraft.

The company reported both prototypes have six propeller, six electric motors and powered by hydrogen fuel cells. Each prototype represents a successive generation. The propellers are on six booms which are attached to the top sides of the fuselage. The windows are very tall and wide providing 180 degree views for the pilot and passengers. The doors of the aircraft slide open and closed. The cabin has 2X2 seating with one seat up front for the pilot. When the aircraft is flown autonomously, the front seat will be for a passenger. There is a step on both sides of the aircraft to make it easier for people to enter and exit the aircraft. The multicopter aircraft has fixed skid landing gear.

The company's planned use for the multicopter is for flight between two cities for advanced air mobility (AAM)
There is no information on the company's website concerning these two flying prototype aircraft.

Specifications:

  • Aircraft type: Hybrid-electric VTOL multicopter prototype aircraft
  • Piloting: Unknown
  • Capacity: Unknown
  • Cruise speed: Unknown
  • Propellers: 6 propellers
  • Electric motors: 6 electric motors
  • Power source: Hybrid-electric hydrogen fuel cells?
  • Fuselage: Carbon fiber composite
  • Windows: Panoramic wrap around windows allowing forward, left, right and top visibility for spectacular views
  • Landing gear: Fixed skid landing gear
  • Safety features: Distributed Electric Propulsion (DEP) means having multiple propellers (or electric ducted fans) and multiple electric motors on an aircraft so if one or more propellers (or electric ducted fans) or some electric motors fail, the other working propellers (or electric ducted fans) and electric motors can safely land the aircraft. DEP provides safety through redundancy for its passengers or cargo. There are also redundancies of critical components in the sub-systems of the aircraft providing safety through redundancy for its passengers or cargo. Having multiple redundant systems on any aircraft decreases having any single point of failure. There is also a whole aircraft emergency ballistic parachute in case of an unexpected inflight emergency.

Related Aircraft:

Company Insights:

Resources: