CopterPack is an Australian company which posted a video of a flight of its all-electric backpack helicopter on May 26, 2021 on YouTube. However, subsequent analysis reported that the flight was apparently assisted by a wire that was digitally removed from the video. The CopterPack website was then updated to stated that "The recent tethered test of the prototype enabled evaluation of the flight dynamics and aircraft stabilisation."
According to the website and several articles online, CopterPack's electric backpack helicopter has a self-leveling autopilot, the diameter of each ducted propeller housing is about three feet (90 cm), the fuselage is made from carbon fiber honeycomb and is possibly powered by lithium-ion batteries. As of June 22, 2021, the name of the CopterPack is apparently the name of the company but the company doesn't mention this on their website. In addition, there is no mention of the CopterPack's cruise speed, range or flight time on their website.
The ducted propellers are on a central axle allowing each propeller to tilt independently, forward or backward, for precision maneuverability. The is a central small vertical open-framed fuselage where a custom four-point suspension system-type backpack is attached to. The top propeller axle assembly is attached to the top of the fuselage and the bottom of the fuselage is where the batteries are located. Also, there are two horizontal flat armrests extending from the lower portion of the fuselage extending out to the front of the pilot, located just above waste level. At the end of these two armrests, each has one joystick and other flight controls. Therefore, there are two joysticks, one controlled by the right hand and the other joystick is controlled by the left hand, for flight control.
There has been no mention of any safety devices on the personal helicopter. However, it is well known among aerospace engineers designing electric aircraft, that electric motors are much more reliable, lighter and safer than any petroleum-powered engine.
As of June 22, 2021, company has not revealed if the backpack helicopter will actually be available for purchase or when they will manufacture and sell the personal helicopter.
- Aircraft type: All-electric backpack personal helicopter
- Piloting: 1 pilot
- Maximum payload: Unknown
- Cruise speed: Unknown
- Range: Unknown
- Flight Time: Unknown
- Propellers: 2 ducted propellers
- Electric Motors: 2 electric motors
- Power source: Batteries
- Fuselage: Carbon fiber honeycomb
- CopterPack website
- CopterPack YouTube Channel
- Video: CopterPack Teaser, CopterPack, May 13, 2021: https://youtu.be/hyqEEh3maL4
- Video: CopterPack First Flight, CopterPack, May 26, 2021:
- Article: Aussie electric Copterpack makes sensational first manned flight, New Atlas, June 6, 2021
- Article: The future of personal flight could be the CopterPack, SlashGear, June 7, 2021
- Article: CopterPack: Electric backpack personal helicopter makes first manned flight, Startup Selfie, June 14, 2021