Drone Champions Big Drone
Drone Champions AG
Drone Champions AG was founded by Herbert Weirather and has a virtual reality drone flying game company as well as sponsoring live races with real uncrewed aerial vehicles (UAVs) or drones. Weirather decided to invent a one passenger crewed aerobatic drone to create a brand new racing experience for the public.
In February 2020, the company announced they developed and built the first-ever crewed aerobatic drone called the “Big Drone”. Testing began indoors in Germany before the drone was taken for its maiden outdoor flights, where aerobatic maneuvers were successful in Vrsar, Croatia.
Maximum speed of the eVTOL aircraft is 140 km/h (87 mph), has 12 motors and 12 propellers and the aircraft can roll 180 degrees over and make full 180 degree loops. It is expected to be used and flown by people who play in the Drone Champions League.
They are now recruiting for people to remotely fly the 217 brake horsepower aircraft from the pool of people playing Drone Champions League – The Game.
- Aircraft type: Aerobatic eVTOL aircraft
- Capacity: 1 passenger
- Maximum speed: 140 km/h (87 mph)
- Static Thrust: 300 kg (660 lbs)
- Power: 217 brake horsepower
- Empty weight: 98 kg (216 lbs)
- Maximum takeoff weight: 165 kg (368 lbs)
- Motors: 12
- Propellers: 12
- Safety features: Distributed Electric Propulsion (DEP) means having multiple motors and propellers distributed anywhere on the aircraft. which provides safety through redundancy and much more. If one or two motors or propellers fail, the other working propellers can safely land the aircraft.
- Drone Champions website
- Drone Champions AG Facebook
- Drone Champions AG Twitter
- Drone Champions AG YouTube
- Drone Champions AG Instagram
- Article: Drone Champions AG Unviels World’s First Manned Aerobatic Drone, Drone Champions League, Feb. 17, 2020
- Article: Drone Champions League Flies Manned Aerobatic Drone Through the Hoops (You Can Too – Virtually), Drone Life, Feb. 17, 2020
- Article: World’s first manned aerobatic drone shown pulling loops and rolls, New Atlas, Feb. 17, 2020
- Video: Aerobatic manned drone flights – rolls and loops, gizmag, Feb. 17, 2020
- Video: The Groundbreaking Manned Aerobatic Drone, Drone Champions League, Feb. 17, 2020
- Article: Formula 1 car of the sky: Incredible 16ft-wide manned drone that can fly at 87 MPH with a person on board performs rolls and loops on its maiden flight, Daily Mail, Feb. 18, 2020
- Article: Images of the World’s First Manned Aerobatic Drone Are Released (Video), Somag News, Feb. 18, 2020
- Video: First Manned Aerobatic RACING Drone – Will it FLIP?, FliteTest, Feb. 18, 2020
- Article: DCL – The Game Has a Crazy $1 Million Special Edition With a Rideable Drone, TechRaptor, Mar. 5, 2020
- IO Aircraft Challenger SC
- V.MO Sky Garden (full scale mockup)
- Lyte Aviation LA-44 SkyBus
- Voltline Skyla_V2 (production aircraft)
- Voltline Skyla_V1 (prototype)
- Voltline Skyla (prototype)
- V_Space V Speeder V3
- V_Space V Speeder V2
- Sikorsky Aircraft Hybrid-Electric Demonstrator (HEX)
- ARC Aero Systems C-150 (production model)