The Silverwing S1 is an all electric Vertical Take-Off and Landing (VTOL) hoverbike and a Phase 1 winner of the GoFly competition.
This device is a canard-wing configuration around a person in motorcycle-like orientation powered by two electric motors with ducted rotors. The aircraft is a ‘tail-lander’ and makes a 90-degree transition from vertical take-off to horizontal cruise flight. It uses high density batteries and is capable of autonomous flight.
A student project at the Delft University of Technology, Silverwing has 21 corporate partners providing technical and/or financial support to the Silverwing team.
On March 26, 2019 GoFly Prize announced that Silverwing completed Phase II of the GoFly challenge and will receive $50,000.00 USD in prizes. A full scale prototype of the aircraft has been developed and underwent both indoor and outdoor flight testing prior to the GoFly Final Fly Off.
- Silverwing website
- Silverwing Twitter
- Silverwing Instagram
- GoFly Prize website
- News Release: GoFly Winners, GoFly, Jun. 14, 2018
- Article: Boeing’s $2 Million Challenge to Make the Sky Fun Again—With ‘Flying Motorbikes’, Wired, Jun. 14, 2018
- Article: Boeing Asked for Quiet Jetpacks and Got a Bunch of Air Motorcycles, Bloomberg, Jun. 14, 2018
- Article: Contest Aims to Lift Personal Flying Machines Off the Page, The New York Times, Jun. 14, 2018
- Article: Here are the Finalists for Boeing’s $2 million ‘Personal Flying Device’ Contest, The Verge, Jun. 14, 2018
- Article: Meet the Mad Geniuses Building Personal Flying Machines, Fast Company, Jun. 14, 2018
- Article: GoFly Enters Phase II, Vertiflite, July/August 2018
- Article: GoFly Hits 40, evtol.news, Feb. 6, 2019
- News Release: Meet the 5 Winners Of GoFly Phase II, Mar. 26, 2019
- Video: GoFly Prize: Announcing the Phase II Winners, Mar. 26, 2019
- Article: AHS Supports GoFly!, Vertiflite, Nov/Dec 2017
- Article: Flying Solo: GoFly Advances Single-Passenger Air Mobility Solutions, Vertiflite, May/June 2019
- Article: GoFly Inspires Innovation, Vertiflite, May/June 2020
- Article: GoFly Teams Prepare to Fly Again, Vertiflite, Nov/Dec 2020
- Lyte Aviation LA-44 SkyBus
- Voltline Skyla_V2 (production aircraft)
- Voltline Skyla_V1 (prototype)
- Voltline Skyla (prototype)
- V_Space V Speeder V3
- V_Space V Speeder V2
- Sikorsky Aircraft Hybrid-Electric Demonstrator (HEX)
- ARC Aero Systems C-150 (production model)
- Joby Aviation S4 1.0 (technology demonstrator)
- Alauda Airspeeder Mk4 (hydrogen-electric)