Mountainview, California, USA
UAVOS Inc. is a company based in Silicon Valley that manufactures aerial, terrestrial and aquatic vehicles solutions for commercial, industrial and defense purposes. They also sell autopilot systems and UAV components. The company announced in August 2020 that they made a concept electric tandem rotor helicopter for Urban Air Mobility (UAM) that holds five passengers.
The name of the all-electric helicopter airtaxi is SumoAir. The helicopter can be piloted or flown autonomously and the design allows for autorotation in the case of an electric motor failure or loss of battery power. The electric helicopter concept design is a part of UAVOS’ research and development program to explore and understand the fundamental technologies behind electric aircraft and the UAM market.
As of August 2020, UAVOS employs over 90 people around the world with offices located in Hong Kong, Spain, Switzerland and the USA.
- Aircraft type: Airtaxi eVTOL concept design
- Piloting: Autonomous
- Capacity: 5 passengers
- Cruise speed (estimated): 87 mi/h (140 km/h)
- Flight time: 1.3 hours
- Maximum altitude: 8,200 ft (2,500 m)
- Maximum payload: 3,700 lb (1,680 kg)
- Propellers: 2 ducted three-bladed rotors in tandem, with a diameter of 23 ft (7 m)
- Electric Motors: 2 electric motors
- Power source: Batteries
- Dimensions: 37.7 ft (11.5 m) L X 24.6 ft (7.5 m) W
- Windows: Panoramic windows with forward, left and right visibility, with a solid roof above for spectacular views for passengers.
- Landing gear: Fixed wheeled landing gear, 4 wheels
- Safety feature: Autorotation capability in case of an electric motor failure.
- UAVOS website
- UAVOS YouTube Channel
- UAVOS LinkedIn
- Article: Silicon Valley Chapter’s Own UAVOS Presented A Concept ‘Sumo’ UAM Vehicle!, Silicon Valley Chapter of AUVSI, Inc, Aug, 22, 2020
- Article: New “SumoAir Urban Air Taxi concept” from UAVOS, Urban Air Mobility, Aug. 31, 2020
- Merk T Hover School Bus 02 (concept design)
- Merk T Copter Car 25 (concept design)
- Merk T Copter Voiture 44 (concept design)
- Merk T Copter Car 8 (concept design)
- Merk Heli T-Arrow (concept design)
- Chatillon MotoFly (concept design)
- Galvani Fly Citycopter (concept design)
- Jantschke Megacity Aviation (concept design)
- FBike Flying Bike (technology demonstrator)
- 3D Molier Cargo Quadrocopter Drone (concept design)