Woburn, Massachusetts, USA
Five (5) MIT graduates founded Terrafugia in 2006 and it has been reported the company has over 100 employees as of 2020. On November 13, 2017, Zhejiang Geely Holding Group (China) purchased Terrafugia.
Zhejiang Geely Holding Group also owns: Geely Auto (gasoline automobile manufacturer), Geometry (100% electric automobile manufacturer), Link & Co. (gasoline automobile manufacturer with a heavy focus on digital connectivity inside the vehicle including internet and cloud services), Proton (gasoline automobile manufacturer), Lotus, Volvo, Polestar (100% electric high-performance car manufacturer), Cao Cao (ride hailing service), London EV Company (which was the London Taxi Company with the iconic black taxis and are now hybrid-electric), Yang Cheng Auto (producing clean commercial vehicles such as buses, semi-trucks, etc., either powered by 100% electric or by methanol) and Mitime private education, sports and tourism.
Terrafugia has recently made a sub-scale prototype which first flew in mid-December 2019 to validate the design of the new TF-2A all electric vertical takeoff and landing (eVTOL) aircraft. Some of the sub-scale model specifications are the following: A wingspan of 4.5 meters (14.8 ft), maximum take-off weight of 60 kg (132 lb), and a cruising speed of about 100 kilometers per hour (62 mph).
When compared to its petroleum powered cousins, the TF-2A eVTOL aircraft has lower operating costs, lower noise, more energy savings, environmentally friendly (no emissions), and has a higher safety factor than non-electric aircraft, through the redundancy of critical components.
The TF-2A eVTOL aircraft will have eight (8) lift-propellers and one (1) rear pusher-prop for forward flight, a cruise speed of up to 180 km/h (112 mph), a maximum range of 100 km (62 miles), capacity for two (2) passengers and luggage, a maximum payload weight of 200 kg (440 lb) and can take off and land like a helicopter or an airplane.
The company plans for autonomous piloting system for urban air mobility (UAM). The company is currently hiring.
- Aircraft type: eVTOL
- Piloting: Autonomous
- Passengers: 2 + luggage
- Cruising speed: Up to 180 km/h (112 mph)
- Maximum range: 100 km (62 m)
- Payload: 200 kg (440 lb)
- Power source: Batteries
- Pusher propeller: 1
- VTOL propellers: 8
- Windows: Large windows for spectacular views for passengers
- Wing: High wing, 4.5 meters in length
- Fuselage: Composite
- Tail assembly: Twin boom tail
- Landing gear: Tricycle fixed wheeled landing gear
- Safety features: Distributed Electric Propulsion (DEP), provides safety through redundancy for its passengers and/or cargo. DEP means having multiple propellers and motors on the aircraft, so if one or more motors/propellers fail, the other working motors/propellers can safely land the aircraft.
- Search eVTOL News posts
- Terrafugia website
- Terrafugia Facebook
- Terrafugia Twitter
- Terrafugia YouTube
- Terrafugia Instagram
- Terrafugia LinkedIn
- Zhejiang Geely Holding Group website
- Article: Geely Unveils Terrafugia TF-2A, eVTOL News, Jan. 9, 2020
- Article: Geely Taili Speeding TF-2A scale-down verification aircraft makes its first flight, We Chat, Jan. 2020
- Article: A new generation of flying cars is taking to the air — without the cars, Providence Journal, Mar. 1, 2019