Deep Blue Aviation MX 18 Silhouette M
MX 18 Silhouette M
Deep Blue Aviation
Kufstein, Tyrol, Austria
Marc Meder is the founder and CEO of Deep Blue Aviation of Austria. The company designs, manufactures, tests pioneering designs, drive systems for electric vertical take off and landing (eVTOL) aircraft. The company uses multiple specialists in conjunction with aerospace universities. The aircraft are environmentally friendly and made with multiple advanced controls and safety features to ensure a comfortable and safe flight.
Their aircraft have been designed so that normally used buildings and infrastructure are not needed for takeoff and landing. In addition, their all electric aircraft is much quieter than conventional petroleum fueled aircraft engines which may make their aircraft more acceptable to people living in urban areas. Because it’s an all electric aircraft, it is cleaner and much better for the environment.
The MX 18 Silhouette is an eVTOL aircraft for cargo and passenger urban air mobility UAM transportation which is made in three different models: The MX 18 Silhouette 5 is a cargo aircraft; the MX 18 Silhouette M is a two seat passenger aircraft for UAM; and the MX 18 Silhouette X holds nine people for UAM.
The company is taking advantage of propellers which will be used for both vertical lift and forward flight, in addition, has made the electric aircraft with wings to increase the efficiency and range of the aircraft. The wings also provide an additional safety feature, if one or more propellers fail, the aircraft can glide safety to a landing.
The propellers inside the fuselage and wings of the aircraft provide at least two important features. One, this design ensures that no passenger or crew will ever be hurt by the propellers and will allow the aircraft to takeoff and land in tighter spaces, because the propellers are not protruding outside of the wings or airframe. The outer wings also swing up to reducing the space needed for takeoff and landing.
Deep Blue Aviation has also developed engaged in development of the Sky Cruiser, MX 18 Silhouette 5, and MX 18 Silhouette X.
- Aircraft type: eVTOL
- Piloting: Autonomous
- Capacity: 2 passengers
- Propellers: 3
- Electric Motors: 3
- Windows: Panoramic windows providing spectacular views.
- Wings span: 10.5 m (34 feet)
- Landing gear: Retractable wheeled landing gear
- Safety Features: Distributed Electric Propulsion (DEP), provides safety through redundancy for its passengers and/or cargo. DEP means having multiple propellers and motors on the aircraft so if one or more motors or propellers fail, the other working motors and propellers can safely land the aircraft. Wings also provide an additional feature, if some or all of the propellers fail, the aircraft can glide safely for a landing. An additional safety features is the propellers are inside the wings a fuselage of the aircraft eliminating the possibility of passengers or crew being hurt by the propellers.
- Deep Blue Aviation website
- IO Aircraft Challenger SC
- V.MO Sky Garden (full scale mockup)
- Lyte Aviation LA-44 SkyBus
- Voltline Skyla_V2 (production aircraft)
- Voltline Skyla_V1 (prototype)
- Voltline Skyla (prototype)
- V_Space V Speeder V3
- V_Space V Speeder V2
- Sikorsky Aircraft Hybrid-Electric Demonstrator (HEX)
- ARC Aero Systems C-150 (production model)