Aurora Passenger Air Vehicle (PAV)
Aurora Flight Sciences, a Boeing Company
Manassas, Virginia, USA
The Aurora Passenger Air Vehicle is an electric aircraft with eight propellers for vertical flight and a push-prop and wings for cruising. It will have both a length and wingspan of 8 m and be able to carry a load of 225 kg at a speed of 180 km/h. It is designed to fly autonomously although in its early stages it will be piloted.
The Aurora PAV is being designed to will operate from “hub-to-hub” between designated “vertiports” as an air taxi. It will carry two people (pilot included) as well as luggage.
Aurora’s aircraft is born out of a 2017 partnership with Uber as part of the Uber Elevate Mission. Initially, a 1/10 model was flown with and without a fuselage. This was followed by a fully configured 1/4 sized model.
On Jan. 22, 2019, a full-size prototype of this design (registration details for tail number N83AU here) was successfully flown at the Manassas Regional Airport in Manassas, Virginia, USA. The PAV prototype completed a controlled takeoff, hover and landing testing the vehicle’s autonomous functions as well as the ground control systems.
On May 8, 2018, at the second Uber Elevate Summit, Aurora unveiled three design variants that are also being considered.
|Fuselage length||6.6 ft||2 m||26.2 ft||8 m|
|Overall height||not available||not available||not available||not available|
|Wingspan||6.6 ft||2 m||26.2 ft||8 m|
|Tip-to-tip distance||6.6 ft||2 m||26.2 ft||8 m|
|Empty weight||unknown||1,265 lb||575 kg|
|Max gross takeoff wt||27.6 lb||12.5 kg||1,760 lb||800 kg|
|Useful load||unknown||495 lb||225 kg|
|Cruise speed||48.6 kt||90 km/h||97 kt||180 km/h|
|Lift Propulsors||8 propellers + 1 cruise||8 propellers + 1 cruise|
|Motor output||8x 100 hp||8x 75 kW||unknown|
|First Flight||April 2017||January 22, 2019|
- Search eVTOL news posts
- Aurora: eVTOL website
- Briefing slides: 4th Transformative Vertical Flight Workshop, June 7, 2017
- Boeing Press Release: Boeing Autonomous Passenger Air Vehicle Completes First Flight, January 23, 2019
- Article: Boeing Autonomous Passenger Air Vehicle Completes First Flight, CISION PR Newswire, January 23, 2019
- Article: Uber, Aurora Introduce New eVTOL Flying Taxi, Composites World, April 28, 2017
- Video: Aurora test flight (embedded in twitter), January 22, 2019
- Video: Aurora Test flight, January 22, 2019