Torrance, California, USA
Advanced Tactics was founded in 2007 in Torrance, California (USA) with a vision to develop unique aircraft for military and commercial. The company currently has four vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL) aircraft listed on their website and each aircraft can be powered with traditional petroleum fueled engines, hybrid-electric power or all electric power sources. The company is making VTOL aircraft for both Urban Air Mobility (UAM) and air cargo services.
Advance Tactics also provides the following services:
- Product development and rapid prototyping
- Electronics prototyping, manufacture and assembly
- Embedded and desktop software development
- Aircraft and rotorcraft simulation and modeling
- Control system design, analysis and implementation
The Barracuda is a high-speed, long range tilt-rotor passenger VTOL aircraft. The Barracuda is a multi-power source aircraft which can be manufactured with petroleum engines, with a hybrid-electric power train or with an all-electric power source.
The aircraft has a conventional airplane airframe design with a high-wing and uses four tiltrotors, four electric motors and has retractable wheeled landing gear. The company also states the aircraft is scalable.
The Barracuda is a multi-role aircraft and can be used for a wide variety of commercial missions from Urban Air Mobility, city-to-city passenger air transportation, used as an aerial sensor platform and used for air cargo. For military use, the aircraft can be used for long-endurance Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance (ISR), troop transportation, high-speed cargo resupply, ship-to-ship cargo resupply and other air transportation military uses.
- Aircraft type: Petroleum based, hybrid-electric power or all-electric VTOL long-range scalable passenger and air cargo aircraft
- Piloting: Unknown
- Capacity: Unknown
- Cruise speed: Unknown
- Range: Unknown
- Propellers: 4 tilt-rotors
- Power source: Can be ordered with 4 petroleum powered engines, a hybrid-electric power source with 4 electric motors or an all-electric power source with 4 electric motors
- Fuselage: Carbon fiber composite
- Windows: Standard airplane windows
- Wings: 1 high wing
- Tail: Standard T-tail
- Landing gear: Tricycle retractable wheeled landing gear
- Safety features: Distributed Electric Propulsion (DEP), provides safety through redundancy for its passengers and/or cargo. DEP means having multiple propellers (or ducted fans) and motors on the aircraft so if one or more propellers (ducted fans) or motors fail, the other working propellers (or ducted fans) and motors can safely land the aircraft. The aircraft can also land conventionally on a runway.
- Advanced Tactics website
- Article: Advanced Tactics and Rotor X unveil family of HSVTOL aircraft, Vertical Magazine, Aug. 10, 2021
- Video: Barracuda, The New HSVTOL Aircraft Design, World's Tech Official, Aug. 21, 2021
- Article: The Barracuda puts a wild spin on aircraft design, Popular Science, Aug. 27, 2021