Ponti Design Studio Ltd.
Sheung Wan, Hong Kong, China
Italian designer Adrea Ponti has designed an electric vertical takeoff and landing (eVTOL) aircraft made for Urban Air Mobility (USA) and in response to restrictions in air travel and tourism during the 2020 Covid-19 pandemic. The name Kite was inspired by the black kite, a majestic fast migratory bird that can be found in Hong Kong during the winter.
The autonomously piloted eVTOL aircraft has a modern aerodynamic compact design holding four passengers with with steps built into the rear door, so when the door lowers, it doubles as a staircase for passenger entry and exiting. Large side, front and top windows provides incredible views for the passengers. Other passenger comforts including reclining leather seating with a soft fabric lining, 2X2 seating configuration (no center seat), a center aisle providing plenty of elbow room, one front screen and two rear screens displaying flight data, tray tables and under-seat storage for luggage.
More features include Distributed Electric Propulsion (DEP), plenty of ceiling lighting, the large side and top windows create the illusion of a larger cabin space than an aircraft with small windows, the side windows which double as emergency exits, luggage storage in the back of the aircreaft, the ability to dock on a custom landing pad which recharges the aircraft between flights.
Kite's cutting-edge technology and its sophisticated minimalist design reflects the spirit of Hong Kong and its surrounding region. The aircraft has specifically made for low altitude urban flight and can be used as an air taxi or used for personal air travel.
- Aircraft type: eVTOL aircraft
- Piloting: Autonomous
- Capacity: 4 passengers
- Propellers: 8
- Electric Motors: 8
- Power source: Batteries
- Fuselage: Composite to provide the aircraft with high strength and to keep aircraft very light weight.
- Windows: Panoramic windows with wrap around window design allowing forward, left, right and top visibility, for spectacular views
- Landing gear: Retractable skid landing gear
- Safety Features: Distributed Electric Propulsion (DEP), provides safety through redundancy for its passengers and/or cargo. DEP means having multiple propellers and motors on the aircraft so if one or more motors or propellers fail, the other working motors and propellers can safely land the aircraft. There is a plastic shield next to the head rest on the aisle side of each seat.
- Ponti Design Studio website
- Ponti Design Studio Kite web page
- Ponti Design Studio Facebook
- Ponti Design Studio Instagram
- Ponti Design Studio Pinterest
- Ponti Design Studio LinkedIn
- Article: Kite is a passenger drone concept designed to connect the cities of the greater bay area, Design Boom, Oct. 29, 2020
- Article: Meet Kite, an Autonomous Drone Concept Designed to Ferry Commuters in the Post-Covid Era, Robb Report, Oct. 29, 2020
- Article: Kite, a passenger drone to connect Hong Kong and Macau, Domus, Oct. 30, 2020