Sirrandalot (Reddit user)
Country of origin unknown
In 2014, the Reddit account user Sirrandalot, designed a ducted fan hybrid-electric vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL) passenger aircraft, with a Cadillac-type look, for Urban Air Mobility (UAM). Not much is known about the artist and few specifications were discussed by this VTOL aircraft designer.
The Emerald Flyer is a luxury hybrid-electric VTOL one passenger aircraft which can be used for work, shopping, entertainment, personal use or vacation travel. The aircraft has faceted-angle surfaces (flat faces on geometric shapes) and does not need to be aerodynamically shaped due to it being a vectored thrust aircraft. However, the aircraft would have a longer range with wings. The aircraft can be powered by multiple power sources such as a combustion engine, turbine engine or battery packs. The aircraft has no visible V tail.
While some people seemed shocked at the thought of a one passenger aircraft for Urban Air Mobility, studies show that most people currently travel to and from work, alone in a car and the same is true with ground taxis. A one passenger VTOL aircraft will most likely be the type of aircraft most people use to fly to work or to use for personal travel.
The Emerald Flyer has a severe and blunt flat face design providing the owner with a striking, very noticeable and memorable futuristic looking aircraft. The design includes a vertically large retro-styled automotive-looking front grill with 10 headlights. The rest of the aircraft has flat and angled surfaces with the fuselage being wider in the front and the rear of the aircraft is about half the width of the front. The cockpit canopy has flat angled sides and the ducted fans are rectangular in shape. The aircraft has three colors, red, black and silver making the aircraft look visually appealing.
The designer was very forward looking as eVTOL passenger aircraft started to be designed as early as 2009 by NASA and did not become popular to design until around 2014 and later.
Whether this aircraft design will ever be built as a subscale or full scale flying demonstrator is unknown. The future will decide if this aircraft design will see real world production and use.
- Aircraft type: Hybrid-electric or all-electric VTOL passenger aircraft
- Piloting: Pilot
- Capacity: 1 passenger
- Cruise speed: Unknown
- Range: Unknown
- Flight Time: Unknown
- Propellers: 4 ducted rotating fans
- Electric Motors: 4 electric motors or more
- Power source: Hybrid-electric or all electric
- Fuselage: Carbon fiber composite
- Windows: Canopy over cockpit
- Landing gear: Unknown. However, this aircraft could land on its air frame or have retractable tricycle (or quadricycle) landing wheels (or struts)
- Safety features: Distributed Electric Propulsion (DEP), provides safety through redundancy for its passengers and/or cargo. DEP means having multiple propellers (or ducted fans) and motors on the aircraft so if one or more propellers (ducted fans) or motors fail, the other working propellers (or ducted fans) and motors can safely land the aircraft. It is unknown if the aircraft has a whole aircraft parachute but most passenger short-range VTOL have this feature.