XPeng HT Aero Flying Car
XPeng HT Aero
Founded in 2014 by He Xiaopeng, Henry Xia and He Tao, Xpeng Motors is a leading Chinese all-electric vehicle and technology company that designs, develops and manufactures intelligent automobiles that are seamlessly integrated with the Internet and utilize the latest advances in artificial intelligence. The company is beginning to make electric vertical takeoff and landing (eVTOL) aircraft for Urban Air Mobility (UAM). The company's headquarters are located in Guangzhou, China.
The company's manufacturing philosophy centers around quality, continuous improvement, flexibility and high operating efficiency. XPeng's goal is to make smart electric vehicles with technology and data, and shape the consumer mobility experience of the future. XPeng went public in the U.S. in August 2020 and has completed a dual-primary listing in Hong Kong.
XPeng's affiliate, HT Aero, reported that it was developing a roadable eVTOL on October 24, 2021. While relatively few details of the aircraft's technical specifications have been made available, it appears to use a pair of rotors for lift and operate in a very similar fashion to a sports car while in its ground configuration. The rotors fold into the craft, reducing its profile when driving. According to a panel conducted by HT Aero, the aircraft will also use a safety system to evaluate weather conditions and incorporate an auto-pilot feature, parachute, and redundant power systems.
According to the company in early 2021, this is a 6th generation vehicle and the company also announced that serial production is expected in 2024. In June 2022, XPeng announced that it received an investment from an undisclosed investor and that they remain committed to releasing the aircraft in 2024.
- Aircraft type: Hybrid-electric VTOL ground and air vehicle
- Piloting: Autonomous or manual
- Capacity: 2 passengers
- Cruise speed (air): Unknown
- Range (air): Unknown
- Flight Time (air): Unknown
- Cruise speed (ground): Unknown
- Range (ground): Unknown
- Propellers: 2 propellers
- Electric Motors (air): 2 electric motors
- Electric Motors (ground): Unknown
- Power source: Hybrid-electric
- Fuselage: Carbon fiber composite
- Window: Canopy over cockpit
- Landing gear: Four wheels
- Safety features: There are redundancies in the sub-systems of the aircraft. There is a whole aircraft parachute.
- XPeng website
- XPeng Facebook
- XPeng Twitter
- XPeng LinkedIn
- HT Aero website
- HT Aero Twitter
- XPeng HT YouTube Channel
- Article: Xiaopeng Huitian Traveler X2 Future City Application Scenario Launched on the Whole Network, XPeng, Sept. 24, 2021
- Article: XPeng’s HT Aero gets $500 million to develop flying cars, eVTOL Magazine, Oct. 19, 2021
- Article: Cashed-up HT Aero promises street-legal flying supercar in 2024, New Atlas, Oct. 24, 2021
- Video: FLYING CAR Xpeng HT Aero – Street-Legal Helicopter, YOUCAR, Oct. 26, 2021
- Article: China's Rising eVTOL Industry, Vertiflite, Nov/Dec 2021
- Article: Xpeng Huitian flying car debuts in Europe, plans to test flight in Europe in the first half of 2022, XPeng, Nov. 17, 2021
- Article: Flying car's first show on CCTV Lantern Festival shows a new exploration of future travel, XPeng, Mar. 7, 2022