Sport (concept design)
Guangzhou, Guangdong, China
With funding from XPeng Motors, XPeng AeroHT was founded in 2020 as one of its subdivisions and is located in Guangzhou, Guangdong, China. XPeng AeroHT is in the business of designing and manufacturing electric vertical takeoff and landing (eVTOL) passenger aircraft for advanced air mobility (AAM). The company was orginally founded as Heitech in 2013 by Zhao Deli in Dongguan, Guangdong, China and was later purchased by XPeng Motors. He Xiaopeng is the Chairman and CEO of XPeng Motors and the Chairman of XPeng AeroHT. Zhao Deli is currently the president of XPeng AeroHT, Wang Tan is the co-founder, vice president and chief designer of XPeng AeroHT and Zheng Congwei is the vice president of XPeng AeroHT.
XPeng Motors was founded in 2014 by He Xiaopeng, Henry Xia and He Tao and is a leading Chinese all-electric vehicle and technology company that designs, develops and manufactures intelligent automobiles that are seamlessly integrated with the Internet and utilize the latest advances in artificial intelligence. The company's headquarters are located in Guangzhou, China.
The company's manufacturing philosophy centers around quality, continuous improvement, flexibility and high operating efficiency. XPeng's goal is to make smart electric vehicles with technology and data, and shape the consumer mobility experience of the future. XPeng went public in the U.S. in August 2020 and has completed a dual-primary listing in Hong Kong.
When Zhao Deli was very young, he always liked electronics, science and had the dream to fly. In 2008, Zhao by chance, saw a group of people flying remote-controlled model aircraft which sparked his interest in flying again. He began to work on, study and learn to make model aircraft, including drones and helicopters and learned how to make them fly.
After making electric drones for several years (including a hybrid-electric drone), Zhao started his own company in 2010 to sell drones. The company created five different drone models to manufacture and sell. Then around 2016, Zhao read about a hover surfboard from Canada, this information was the catalyst to for him to begin building an eVTOL hoverbike for one passenger.
He started out funding himself with his own money, by selling his home and borrowing money from friends. He then attracted investors to keep his research going. After his drone company went bankrupt, Zhao Deli attracted an investment of $2.8 million (USD), all from Chinese venture capitalists and XPeng AeroHT was formed. Before XPeng AeroHT was formed, Deli's two previous and now defunct eVTOL companies were named GroundAero and Heitech Aeronautics & Astronautics.
The Sport eVTOL concept design is a sporty one passenger open cockpit multicopter hoverbike and appears to have been made for advanced aerial mobility (AAM), air racing and off road adventures. The front of the aircraft has a retro-styled square front which could possibly be an air intake to cool the batteries powering the aircraft. The cockpit is an open air cockpit with a motorcycle styled seat allowing the pilot with ease of access to enter and exit the aircraft. The aircraft has four booms with two propellers on each end of the booms for vertical and forward flight, for a grand total of eight propellers for the entire aircraft.
There is a small type of windscreen for the pilot's comfort with foot rests on each side of the fuselage. The aircraft has some distinguishing features such as the boom made out of multiple tubes which are connected to the fuselage in multiple places apparently to strengthen the rigidity of aircraft. The fixed skid type landing gear is unique with a large flat horizontal skid in the front of the aircraft which is perpendicular to the fuselage and a rear lengthwise skid in the rear. The landing skids could possibly be described as a tricycle-type landing gear arrangement. It looks like there might be hard carbon fiber saddle bags on each side of the rear of the fuselage for the storage of personal belongings of the pilot. An inverted U tail is fixed on top of the fuselage, just behind the pilot's seat.
Several of Deli's other eVTOL passenger concept designs are the XPeng AeroHT Skimmer and the XPeng AeroHT Cruiser.
- Aircraft type: eVTOL passenger hoverbike multicopter concept design
- Piloting: 1 person
- Propellers: 8 propellers on 4 stationary booms
- Electric Motors: 8 electric motors
- Cockpit: Open cockpit with motorcycle styled seating (no sides to the cockpit cabin, just like a motocycle)
- Fuselage: Light weight material
- Tail: Small inverted U tail
- Landing gear: Fixed skid type landing gear, with a large flat horizontal skid in the front which is perpendicular to the fuselage and a rear lengthwise skid in the rear. Could possibly be described as a tricycle-type landing gear arrangement.
- Safety Features: Distributed Electric Propulsion (DEP), provides safety through redundancy for its passengers and/or cargo. DEP means having multiple propellers and motors on the aircraft so if one or more motors or propellers fail, the other working motors and propellers can safely land the aircraft.
- XPeng AeroHT website
- XPeng AeroHT Facebook
- XPeng AeroHT Twitter
- XPeng AeroHT YouTube
- XPeng AeroHT TikTok
- XPeng AeroHT Instagram
- XPeng AeroHT LinkedIn
- XPeng Motors website
- XPeng Motors Facebook
- XPeng Motors Twitter
- XPeng Motors YouTube Channel
- XPeng Motors LinkedIn
- Article: Chinese man sells his house to fund flying motorcycle, Global Times, July 25, 2018
- Article: Chinese Inventor Develops Working Drone Motorcycle, The Drive, July 28, 2018
- Article: Chinese Inventor Plans To Take His “Hoverbike” On A 3,400 Mi Journey, Mike Shouts, July 30, 2018
- Video: Chinese man makes "flying scooter", South China Morning Post, Aug. 18, 2018
- Article: Chinese Inventor Builds Hoverbike and Becomes a Superhero, RideApart, Aug. 20, 2018
- Video: Chinese inventor Zhao Deli's flying scooter how to make it fly step by step., Alvan Tang, Oct. 5, 2018
- Video: Flying motorbike Multi-Rotor Manned Aircraft from China, Alvan Tang, Apr. 2, 2019
- Article: Man realizes flight fantasy of childhood, China.org.cn, May 9, 2019
- Video: China's Hover Bike - Zhao Deli, Abacus News, Oct. 10, 2019
- Article: HeiTech eVTOLs Discovered, eVTOL News, Aug. 28, 2020
- Article: Chinese electric car start-up Xpeng shows off new flying vehicle, CNBC, Sept. 26, 2020
- Article: China's Rising eVTOL Industry, Vertiflite, Nov/Dec 2021