Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Bell (then “Bell Helicopter”) announced on April 25, 2017 at the Uber Elevate Summit that the two companies will be working together “to accelerate the eventual large-scale deployment of electric vertical take-off and landing vehicles (VTOLs) in order to fulfill its mission of providing a safe, reliable transportation service to everyone, everywhere.”
The company unveiled the Bell Air Taxi cabin experience at the Consumer Technology Association’s CES 2018, stating: “During CES, attendees will experience an augmented reality simulator inside the cabin with a selection of consumer scenarios, from a red-carpet premiere landing to several cross-city day and night trips. Bell’s air taxi design took inspiration from the people that will benefit from it; bringing families, friends, and businesses closer together by gradually reducing the average in-car trip length.”
An Aug 13, 2018 article on AviationWeek.com wrote that a patent application for an eVTOL concept was filed that could be the Bell Air Taxi. The patent notes that the Air Taxi could recharge wirelessly once on a landing pad. Additionally, the document says that the aircraft could reach top speeds of 150 kt (277.8 k/h). The patent includes two different versions, one that holds one passenger and a pilot, and one that holds six passengers. The two different concepts shown in the patent are similar to Bell’s 2017 Uber Elevate teaser, which featured views of several different eVTOL concepts.
- Search eVTOL news posts
- Bell webpage: Bell Air Taxi
- Press Release: Aviation Pioneer Bell Helicopter Rebrands To “Bell”, Reflecting Expanded Vision for the Future, Bell Helicopter, Feb. 22, 2018
- Press Release: Bell Helicopter Makes Debut as First Major Helicopter Manufacturer to Exhibit at CES, Bell Helicopter, Jan. 9, 2018
- Press release: Uber to Collaborate with Bell Helicopter to Develop Urban Electric VTOLs, Uber, April 25, 2017
- “Vertical Takeoff and Landing (VTOL) Aircraft,” US Patent US20180208305A1, filed Jan. 2, 2018; published July 26, 2018.
- Vertiflite Article: Aviation Comes to the Consumer at CES 2018, Vertiflite, March/April 2018
- Article: Does Patent Application Reveal Bell’s eVTOL Design?, The Weekly Of Business Aviation, August 13, 2018
- Video: #BellAirTaxi: The Future of Urban Air Transportation, Jan. 10, 2018
- Video: Uber Wants To Make Air Travel Easy, Cheddar, Jan. 9, 2018