Carter Air Taxi
Carter Aviation Technologies
Wichita Falls, Texas, USA
The Carter Aviation Technologies Air Taxi is a winged, forward propeller and helicopter/auto-gyro electric vehicle designed for urban mobility.
The vehicle’s drive train will power a 13.7 m vertical propeller for Vertical Take-Off and Landing (VTOL) and four horizontal propellers on the 12.75 m fixed wing which will counter rotor torque through differential thrust for hover accents and landings. The four propellers can then use forward thrust and the vertical rotor will slow to 100 rpm as the Air Taxi goes into a cruise mode of up to 281 km/h. It has a weight of 1,996 kg (including a 599 kg battery pack) and a 499 kg useful payload for a total weight of 2,495 kgs. The craft is electric although a hybrid gas turbine option will be developed to extend the vehicles range and open additional markets.
It can carry one pilot and five passengers (a two pilot, four passenger, variant is possible for training purposes). The autogyro would function like a parachute (even at very low altitudes) for emergency landings coupled with extreme energy absorbing landing gear.
The Carter Air Taxi will be used primarily for urban mobility and shorter passenger hops. It was designed to meet the specifications of the Uber Elevate mission.
An earlier version capable of powered hovering and a swivel tail-rotor to provide anti-torque was announced at the 2017 Uber Elevate Summit. At the Vertical Flight Society’s Annual Forum in May 2018 Carter unveiled a new configuration removing the swiveling tail in favor of the four electric motor-driven propellers on a longer wing.
Carter employed a rotor noise expert to analyze the noise signature to meet Uber’s stringent noise requirements. The aircraft will barely exceed normal background noise for people below.
Specifications (May 2018)
|Empty Weight (w/o batteries)||
|Battery Weight (300 Wh/kg)||
|Seating||1 pilot + 5 passengers 2 pilots + 4 passengers|
|Wing Span||42 ft 12.8 m|
|45 ft 13.7 m|
39.4 ft 12 m
- Search eVTOL news posts
- Carter Air Taxi web page
- Specifications: Electric Air Taxi
- Specifications: Hybrid Air Taxi
- Press Release: Carter Aviation Releases Updated Air Taxi Concept on Website, Carter Aviation, August 2018
- Carter Presentation at CAFE Foundation Electric Aircraft Symposium, briefing, July 23, 2017
- Carter participates in CAFE Foundation Symposium, Carter press release, July 23, 2017
- Uber Elevate Summit Carter Presentation, April 2017
- Carter Aviation partners with Mooney International for Uber air taxi concept, Carter press release, April 25, 2017
- Article: Air Mobility Bonanza Beckons Electric VTOL Developers, Vertiflte, March/April 2017