EHang 216 Autonomous Aerial Vehicle
EHang is a dominant player in the quadcopter drone market. The company hopes to extend its unmanned electric VTOL technology to manned applications. The EHang 216 is based on the EHang 184, yet it has eight arms instead of four. This allows for the vehicle to be seat two passengers instead of just one.
The EHang 216 Autonomous Aerial Vehicle (“AAV”) was first announced in February 2018. Manned and unmanned flight testing was conducted in China in 2017, and a manned flight test with Dutch prince Pieter Christiaan took place at the Amsterdam ArenA in April 2018.
In a July 2017 interview for CNBC, EHang co-founder Derrick Xiong stated that “at this moment we are working closely with Dubai and we have actually, together with them, we have done numerous tests, internally. Also, we have basically done a lot of — many, many times — tests with a passenger on it, including the vice-mayor of Guangzhou City in China and also some governors from Dubai as well. We have done a lot of tests and we aim to do the very first public demo very soon this year.”
As of July 2018 the 216 has made over 1,000 manned flights by July 2018 and has traveled 8.8 km on a single trip.
In April 2019, EHang advertising states “Welcome To The Urban Air Mobility Project” and that their starting point will be Austria. Their vision: “To establish a human-focused, sustainable way for people to get about in the future. We seek to create shortcuts – so transport is no longer restricted by roads. Shortcuts that will allow nature to reconquer areas now occupied by concrete and traffic jams. Shortcuts that offer each person more freedom to move in urban space.”
According to an April 16, 2019 interview with Urban Air Mobility Magazine, getting to regular production involves two (2) stages. Stage one (1) is making several hundred copies for testing in multiple countries around the world. Stage two (2) building the aircraft in large numbers. Their partners now include FACC (a global technology leader of designing, developing and manufacturing lightweight systems for the aerospace industry) located in Austria and ProSiebenSat.1 PULS 4 group for their branding the EHang product. Both companies are located in Austria.
- Search eVTOL News posts
- Article: Heir and back! Dutch Prince flies into Amsterdam Arena in high-tech autonomous drone-taxi, Daily Mail, April 16, 2018
- Article: EHang’s driverless MEGADRONE carries passengers around China …, Daily Mail, Feb. 6, 2018
- Article: Air Mobility Bonanza Beckons Electric VTOL Developers, Vertiflite, March 2017
- Article: The Demand for On-Demand Mobility, Vertiflite, Jan 2017
- Video: EHang flight, November 22, 2018
- Video: EHang 216 Drone Taxi in Arena, Jeronymus80, April 16, 2018
- Photo Gallery: A drone-cab, the EHang 216, presented at the Amsterdam ArenA stadium in Amsterdam, Netherlands, Global Times, April 13, 2018