ARC Aero Systems C-150 (production model)
C-150 (production model)
Cranfield, Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
Founded in 2017, ARC Aerosystems (formerly Samad Aerospace) is a technology start-up company set out to design and manufacture safe, eco-friendly, scalable, luxury electric vertical takeoff and landing (eVTOL) and hybrid-electric VTOL passenger aircraft for advanced air mobility (AAM) and for air cargo. Since its founding, the company has generated over 10,000 pages of technical reports as a result of more than 100,000 engineering work hours. The company is based in the United Kingdom and is financed by venture capital and is looking for additional funding. (All images: ARC Aerosystems)
The company has designed multiple models of eVTOL and hybrid-electric VTOL aircraft to help shape the future with eco-friendly door-to-door urban air transportation. The ultimate goal of the aircraft is to give back time to the air traveler compared to lengthy time it takes today to fly with conventional air travel.
As of 2023, ARC Aerosystems has acquired the following patent and design rights:
- Utility: Vertical Take-Off and Landing (VTOL) propulsion system on blended wing body (BWB) passenger aircraft (European Patent Corporation Treaty).
- Design: Vehicle configuration of two-in-one air-and-ground vehicle unit (United Kingdom Intellectual Property Office).
- Utility: Power management (battery packs) on two-in-one air-and-ground vehicle unit (United Kingdom Intellectual Property Office).
The C-150 is remotely piloted VTOL cargo aircraft that has the option of having an all electric power source or a hybrid-electric power source. The aircraft is piloted remotely using Beyond Visual Line Of Sight (BVLOS) technology and in the future, the aircraft will be flown autonomously. The cruise speed of the aircraft is 100 km/h (62 mph) and has a maximum service ceiling of 3,048 m (10,000 ft). The only difference in the specifications between the all-electric and hybrid-electric models is the flight time. The flight time for the all electric model is 60 minutes and the flight time for the hybrid-electric model is 240 minutes.
The aircraft has one high wing, a T-tail and has fixed quadricycle strut landing gear. The aircraft has four VTOL only propellers and one pusher propeller for forward flight. The empty weight of the aircraft is 65 kg (143 lb), has a maximum payload of 20 kg (44 lb) and has a maximum takeoff weight: 150 kg (330 lb). The payload is loaded and unloaded under the fuselage.
The company foresees the C-150 to be used for air cargo, logistics, medical air services and for humanitarian aid.
- Aircraft type: eVTOL or hybrid-electric VTOL cargo aircraft
- Piloting: Remotely (and in the future, autonomous)
- Capacity: Cargo
- Cruise speed: 100 km/h (62 mph)
- Flight time (electric): 60 minutes
- Flight time (hybrid-electric): 240 minutes
- Maximum service ceiling: 3,048 m (10,000 ft)
- Empty weight: 65 kg (143 lb)
- Maximum payload: 20 kg (44 lb)
- Maximum takeoff weight: 150 kg (330 lb)
- Propellers: 5 propellers (4 VTOL propellers, 1 pusher propeller)
- Electric motors: 5 electric motors
- Power source: Electric or hybrid-electric power source
- Fuselage: Carbon fiber composite
- Wings: 1 main high wing
- Tail: 1 T-tail
- Landing gear: Fixed quadricycle strut landing gear
- Safety features: Distributed Electric Propulsion (DEP), provides safety through redundancy for its passengers and/or cargo. DEP means having multiple propellers (or ducted fans) and motors on the aircraft so if one or more propellers (ducted fans) or motors fail, the other working propellers (or ducted fans) and motors can safely land the aircraft. There are also redundancies of critical components in the sub-systems of the aircraft.
- ARC Aerosystems C-600 (production model)
- ARC Aerosystems e-Starling Jet (concept design)
- ARC Aerosystems HUMA (concept design)
- ARC Aerosystems Linx P9
- ARC Aerosystems Q-Starling (concept design)
- ARC Aerosystems Starling Cargo (concept design)
- ARC Aerosystems Starling Cargo S5M (demonstrator)
- ARC Aerosystems Starling Jet (concept design)
- ARC Aerosystems UAV Starling (concept design)
- ARC Aerosystems website
- ARC Aerosystems Facebook
- ARC Aerosystems Twitter
- ARC Aerosystems YouTube Channel
- ARC Aerosystems Instagram
- ARC Aerosystems LinkedIn
- Article: ARC Aerosystems’ Seyed Mohseni on the company’s eVTOL concepts and path to certify a regional aircraft, Vertical Magazine, Dec. 15, 2022
- Video: Full Transition test of ARC C600, ARC Aerosystems, Jan. 24, 2023
- Lyte Aviation LA-44 SkyBus
- Voltline Skyla_V2 (production aircraft)
- Voltline Skyla_V1 (prototype)
- Voltline Skyla (prototype)
- V_Space V Speeder V3
- V_Space V Speeder V2
- Sikorsky Aircraft Hybrid-Electric Demonstrator (HEX)
- ARC Aero Systems C-150 (production model)
- Joby Aviation S4 1.0 (technology demonstrator)
- Alauda Airspeeder Mk4 (hydrogen-electric)