V1200 (concept design)
Mr. Tian Yu founded Autoflight in 2016 and is headquartered in Shanghai, China. Autoflight is an aviation technology company specialized in the research and development of autonomous flight and electric vertical takeoff and landing (eVTOL) technology and aircraft manufacturing for advanced air mobility (AAM). Autoflight has set up research and development facilities in Munich, Germany, in Shenzhen, China, has several manufacturing facilities across China, and has a testing and operating center in Los Angeles, California, USA. Mr. Tian Yu is also the founder of Yuneec, the predecessor of Autoflight, which was a world leader in consumer drones and the manufacturer of e-Spyder single-seat electric ultralight and E430 two-seat electric ultralight which first flew in June 2009.
Safety and reliability is a top priority for Autoflight and is applying interdisciplinary technologies to their aviation products including new materials, artificial intelligence, autonomous technology, sense and avoid in the air technology, multi-redundant flight control system, microelectronics, 4G and 5G telecommunication for multi-channel communication, ground radar assisted remote takeoff and landing function and many other technologies.
The V1200 concept design is four passenger eVTOL aircraft that has a detachable passenger pod and has separate wing assembly. The aircraft has eight VTOL propellers and two pusher propellers, for forward flight. The passenger pod had fixed wheeled tricycle landing gear and apparently can drive on the road. The idea of a detachable passenger pod allows more flexibility of having more pods standing by in a smaller area without the space needed for multiple winged aircraft. Then when a flight is needed, the wing assembly can fly and pick up any specified pod in any pod staging areas within an urban or rural area.
Specifications Passenger Pod:
- Aircraft type: Detachable passenger pod
- Capacity: 4 passengers
- Passenger pod: Detachable from VTOL airframe
- Passenger pod landing gear: Skid type
Specifications eVTOL Airframe:
- Aircraft type: Independent flying eVTOL airframe which attaches or detaches itself to and from the passenger pod
- Propellers: 8 VTOL propellers, 2 pusher propellers
- Electric motors: 10 electric motors
- Power source: Batteries
- Landing gear: Tricycle landing legs. Front legs retract into VTOL boom frame when in flight with fixed double rear tail dragger skids.
- Safety features: Distributed Electric Propulsion (DEP), provides safety through redundancy for its passengers and/or cargo. DEP means having multiple propellers and motors on the aircraft so if one or more motors or propellers fail, the other working motors and propellers can safely land the aircraft.