Mr. Tian Yu founded Autoflight in 2016 and is headquartered in Shanghai, China. Autoflight is an aviation technology company specialized in the research and development of autonomous flight and electric vertical takeoff and landing (eVTOL) technology and aircraft manufacturing. Autoflight has set up research and development facilities in Munich, Germany and in Shenzhen, China, and have several manufacturing facilities across China. Mr. Tian Yu is also the founder of Yuneec, the predecessor of Autoflight, which was a world leader in consumer drones and the manufacturer of e-Spyder single-seat electric ultralight and E430 two-seat electric ultralight which first flew in June 2009.
Safety and reliability is a top priority for Autoflight and is applying interdisciplinary technologies to their aviation products including new materials, artificial intelligence, autonomous technology, sense and avoid in the air technology, multi-redundant flight control system, microelectronics, 4G and 5G telecommunication for multi-channel communication, ground radar assisted remote takeoff and landing function and many other technologies.
Very little information is available from Autoflight on the V1200 eVTOL passenger aircraft; however, a picture and video is posted on their website.
Specifications Passenger Pod:
- Type: Detachable passenger pod
- Capacity: 4 passengers
- Passenger pod: Detachable from VTOL airframe
- Passenger pod landing gear: Skid type
Specifications eVTOL Airframe:
- Type: Independent flying eVTOL airframe which attaches or detaches itself to and from the passenger pod
- Propellers: 8 VTOL propellers, 2 pusher propellers
- VTOL airframe landing gear: Tricycle landing legs. Front legs retract into VTOL boom frame when in flight. With fixed double rear tail dragger skids
- Safety features: Distributed Electric Propulsion (DEP), provides safety through redundancy for its passengers and/or cargo. DEP means having multiple propellers and motors on the aircraft so if one or more motors or propellers fail, the other working motors and propellers can safely land the aircraft.