Uber Partners with Pipistrel Aircraft to Manufacture Electric VTOLs
Uber has signed a partnership with Pipistrel Aircraft producer for large-scale deployment of electric vertical take-off and landing vehicles (VTOLs) in order to fulfill its mission of providing a safe, reliable transportation service to everyone, everywhere. The goal of this partnership is to enable users of a future Uber Elevate Network to request an Pipistrel electric VTOL.
Additional partnership details include:
- Uber plans to operate a network through which electric VTOL vehicles in numerous cities worldwide will provide transportation and delivery logistics services.
- Uber and Pipistrel’s joint goal is for initial vehicles to be used in a flight demonstration by 2020.
- Pipistrel will develop aircraft to satisfy short distance urban operations as the basis for the VTOL performance specifications.
- Uber will participate in the development of airspace control software and hardware for the management of Pilot VTOLs on the Elevate Network, and provide interface connectivity with airspace controllers/regulators.
“I am proud and excited that Uber recognised our values, expertise and leadership in electric flight. This partnership marks the beginning of an exciting journey towards entirely new ways we travel, not only saving time but also being friendly to the environment.”
- Ivo Boscarol, Pipistrel group CEO
“Uber is excited to have Pipistrel working with us and starting to develop VTOLs for Uber Elevate. Pipistrel is the only company in the world that builds and sells electric aircraft today. With brand new factory to increase their capacity, they are a valued partner in making Uber’s VTOL network a reality.”
- Mark Moore, Uber’s Director of Engineering for Aviation
Please find a press kit, including pictures attributable to Uber Technologies, Inc., here. For any additional questions, please contact Matthew Wing at email@example.com and learn more about Uber Elevate here.